1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hitman07, Jun 5, 2009.

1. spud

spud Member

Seriously. I've gotten tons of good stuff out of that line, from the pros on down. Shouldn't that be the ultimate arbiter? That coach (and a select few others) is just a dick in general.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I don't care what you've gotten out of it. It's lazy and gives the profession a bad name. Saying "talk about" the game or "talk about Johnny Quarterback's performance" is a rude order. Ask a fucking question. This talk about stuff is like getting in line at fast food and say, 'Gimme a burger and coke." It's rude. Form a question.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

1) Be accurate.
    2) Be coherent.
    3) Be on deadline.
    93) Give a shit about how you sound when asking a question.

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

nice ....

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

When I was young, was so much younger than today.....

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Well, at least the originator of this thread didn't come on and ask us to talk about what kind of questions he should ask.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The problem with 93 is "talk about" is not a question. It's dumb.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Will you talk about your thoughts related to "talk about"?

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Fredrick. You're asking someone for their time and you're expending your own time -- the questions should show that you value their time and yours by having done at least some preparation for the interview. I don't think someone should be shot at sunrise for saying "so tell me about," but it isn't a question, it's a command, and thus a bit rude.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Look ... you've just got to know your sources. Some people respond to "talk about." Some people will give you good stuff. Some people won't. Some people might be offended by the order. Some people won't.

If you're getting the quotes you need, I could give a fuck how you're phrasing the question.

"Talk about how Johnny Jocksniffer handled his the first start of his college career."

"How do you think Johnny Jocksniffer handled the first start of his college career?"

What's the difference?

I try to avoid the "talk about" questions, simply because I cover a coach who doesn't respond to that. If yours does, there's no problem.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sure, you can get the quote you need, but I don't want to look like an idiot to a source either. It's not that difficult to ask a question and if it is, consider fast food or retail for a career.

Draft saved Draft deleted