1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hitman07, Jun 5, 2009.

1. hitman07

hitman07 New Member

Im currently doing a course in sports journalism. I do some work for my local newspaper and im looking for any examples of post match interview questions on this please?

Thanks in advance

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If you look on major event sites like the Final Four or even some conference championships, you'll see full transcripts of postgame interview sessions. Can't get a better sense than a verbatim account of things ...

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Can't you ask your co-workers is you do work for a paper?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd just go with ... "Talk about the match."

Covers everything, really.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Go to asapsports.com , tons of transcripts there. Real questions asked by real journalists!

6. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I've always found, at least in covering high school, is to start with asking them their thoughts on the game, and then work to something more specific. They may notice something you missed, or want to unburden themselves (an exact quote from a football coach after his team showed signs of life in the last two minutes of a game and lost: "You can't fucking wait until the last two fucking minutes to play the fucking game!"). Then you can ask them the other questions you have in mind.
    Basically, the questions you form should come from the game, so that's the best example I can give you.

7. spud

spud Member

This only works some of the time. I cover a college where the coach will throw the question back in your face unless you ask him something tremendously specific. If you come across with "Talk about the impact this guy has had for you guys so far this year," he'll come back with "Well, ask me."

Fuckin' coaches.

8. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Apostrophes and periods might be something else to consider.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I did the same thing when I was in college, too. I usually asked the coach for his general thoughts on the game, and then I'd get a bit more specific by focusing on some questions about specific points of the game, etc. That usually got me a good half a dozen quotes to scatter around the story.

10. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Insert random smart-ass comment here.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

No offense meant, but the "talk about" question is very lazy and sources should throw it back in our faces for trying to get quotes that way.
    I guess, 'what are your general thoughts on the game?' is OK, but still you might get that slammed back in your face as well. I would think at least that's a question. But the "talk about" stuff is bush league and annoying and I don't blame coaches/players for not wanting to take part in that line of discussion.

12. Not, it's not. It's a non-threatening way to start an interview. In a culture where athletes are becoming more wary of the media by the day, it's a way to let the coaches open the conversation on their terms and hopefully let down their guard a bit. And sometimes you learn plenty of new things when you ask open-ended questions and just sit back and let the interviewee talk.

Draft saved Draft deleted