1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with Sirius

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I know my fellow SportsJournalists.commers can help out with this.

I'm thinking about getting a Sirius for my car (and our cars?) here pretty soon. My wife and I split driving to work because I work 3 blocks from her office and she has a free spot in front of her building.

OK..

• Are there any discernible differences between the Starmate 4 and the Sportster 4? I think the deal is, you buy one of the two for $90 and get a $50 Sirius gift card in return (4 months' worth of service).

• What does Best Buy charge to install it (I have a Honda Accord, she a Honda CRV)? About $80 or so?

• Given that we split driving, I'd like to bring the radio into her car when it's her week to drive. Would I need to have installation done in her car, too, or is there a way to Jerry-rig it so that it's listenable (stick the antenna out there somewhere, plug it in, use the built-in transmitter and go)?

Any light you all may shed will be appreciated.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Best Buy installed mine for free... Granted, that was five years ago when Sirius was just coming out...

Enjoy Howard...

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I didn't have mine actually installed. I just plug it in, plop the antenae on the dashboard and away I go.
    I love having it portable as I have taken it on business trips with me when I'm doing a lot of driving.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Second that. Install?

But if you do decide to make it somewhat permanent, you can pick up a second antenna for the other car.

5. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

OK, for both of you, then: How is the reception when the antenna is merely shoved to the front of the car on the dashboard?

That's one thing Sirius, on its site, says NOT to do. But if it sounds good, who cares? It's easy.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Total satellite radio noob here.

You mean you can get it in your car without having to install a bunch of shit? So, theoretically, I could just bring it with me in whichever car I'm using?

How's that work? How's the sound?

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Mine's not installed either. The antenna is on the front part of the dashboard (luckily, in my car, there's some metal on the top of the dash and the antenna's magnet sticks to it.) The reception is fine - I've never had a problem.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I have two antennae --- one I semi-permanently installed on my car with some 3M two-sided tape, and the other I use for rentals and what-not. Never had any luck with the antenna on the dashboard.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK, kids. Someone please explain to me how this works.

You mount an antenna in the car and then bring a radio with you? Does it work through the car's speakers?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sirius or XM antenna plugs into the satellite radio receiver, which outputs one of two ways:

• directly to the car audio system via an aux-in jack or a cassette adapter
    • via an FM modulator which can be received via the car's FM radio.

iPods can be set up the same way.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I tried my iPod once with one of the FM transmitters and it was shitty. Do the satellite ones work well? You guys had any problems with them?

Becuase I'd LOVE to get satellite radio, but haven't wanted to tear up my car to do it.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Satellite radio reception is much better than with my ipod adapter. My ipod adapter was a cheapie, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted