1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with possible life-changing decision

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Unless you love this biz like a tall glass of cold milk with a big bag of Oreo cookies, take the cash; the filthy, dirty, b'yoo'tee'ful cash; 200 percent more than you're making now.

You can always freelance gamers and features on the side to stay in the biz.

2. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

After conversations with family, old college paper adviser, friends and you guys, I'm staying, for now. I just can't see myself doing anything else. I really thank you guys. If you know anything about the petroleum (not jelly) business, there's a job in Austin open.

I think what I would miss the most is the people. We're a rare breed and I couldn't see myself spending time with Johnny Salesguy.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

$60k AND in Austin?!?

Man, you shoulda come down.

;)

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and austin to boot, eh?

5. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I'm at peace with my decision. I'm at peace with my decision. I'm at peace with my decision. I'm at...

6. What a miserable thing life is: you're living in clover, only the clover isn't good enough.
    -- Bertolt Brecht

7. Songbird

I'm going to share one anecdote, bertold. Back in the 50s before Vegas became VEGAS! my grandpa Harry, who ran with the fast crowd, was offered a chance to join a cabal to buy the land that would become half of the Vegas Strip. My grandma Edna, a strong, stern woman, forbid him from "wasting" their money in that kind of worthless venture. And then the Vegas before VEGAS turned into the Vegas we now know. I think it was grandpa Harry's only regret in life.

You have to decide what is more important to you in life right now: a cool job or a lot of money at such a young age.

8. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

How strange is that? I'm looking for an answer and there it is — from my favorite German playwright.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, but when did $60k become "a lot of money"?

It's pretty good money for someone in their 20's but it's not like you're in the top 10 percentile of wage earners.

10. Songbird

It's a pretty good start for a young person.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I might have missed this, but if I was in your shoes, I'd think that because of the nepotism, the job will be there in the future. That's why I'd give journalism a good shot now and see where I was in a couple of years.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think you understand -- it's 60 thousand American dollars.

That's a lot of money to many in this profession.

Draft saved Draft deleted