1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with possible life-changing decision

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Aug 22, 2007.

1. In Exile

In Exile Member

When I decided to be a writer I gave up a $60K job I hated and made $9K doing what I liked my first year, which didn't even match my debt at the time. BEST decision I ever made

Decide what you are.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

And if what you are is "obligated to pay my rent/mortage," "responsible for saving for my own retirement," "eager to afford a family/kids/kids' college some day" and, most of all, "ambitious enough to want my production and my rewards (money, promotions, appreciation) to stay commensurate," you've got to grab the sales job. This business, more than ever, will be keeping costs (i.e., salaries) down and the value of what we do is headed one way.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Take the sales job for a couple years, but live financially as if it was the low-paying paper gig. Then you can go back to a low-paying paper gig but not have to live paycheck to paycheck.

If you follow the job boards here, you'll see there is never a shortage of small-paper jobs. Don't fret about trying to get back in the biz after the sales world gets old.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unless they break your arms to keep you from writing on the side, take the job.

This one is easy.

5. hankschu

hankschu Member

I'm in the minority here, but unless you have two kids to support right now, I say screw the money and follow your heart.

Have you ever seen a U-haul attached to the back of a hearse? You can't take it with you.

Unless you become one of those columnists hired as a talking head on TV, you will not get rich in journalism, but I started in the business same as you. I made $160 a week plus $20 car allowance at a weekly. After being in the business 25 years, I make a comfortable salary, but more important, like you, I have been able to do something I love.

How many people truly can say that?

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

The money will always be the difference in this profession. There will always be something - although maybe not a $60k job - outside that looks promising and offers a better paycheck. It's your call how much the money is what you want.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I cannot stress this enough: Do what you love.

Getting up every morning and hating what you'll be doing at work is no way to go through life. Too many people hate their jobs and can't wait to head home. If you're miserable at work, you're more than likely miserable away from work, too.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Take the cash and work as a stringer covering games on the weekends if you love it so much. Much less aggravation, you'll get to continue doing what you like, and you'll actually have a life!

9. McLovin

McLovin New Member

i'm with hank.

why is the money so important? i feel like most people forget that time is equally important if not more so.

you can spend at least 40 hours a week doing something you're not passionate about and have some extra cash laying around, or you can keep doing what you love. and if you're good at it and keep getting better, you may actually be able to make a decent amount of money doing this thing you love.

if you love what you do, keep doing it. your time is more valuable than you think. and you get less of it each day. some people like to use the phrase "killing time." but in reality, time is killing you.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

A sales job for 60K raises one question. Is that guaranteed 60K salary or "the potential to earn 60K" with commissions?
    If it's the latter, you better be a damn good salesman.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd need more information to suggest anything. Is sales something you can see yourself doing on a day-to-day basis? Is it something you believe you could get a lot out of? Is it something that you could see yourself enjoying?

If you're only doing it for the money, don't do it. Let me be a lesson in that. I tried to leave my shop for a position that paid a hell of a lot better. The only thing that's preventing me from saying I made a mistake is that I at least tried the gig. If I didn't take it, I might have regretted not trying to make the move.

If it's a position where you feel like you get a lot of fulfillment out of it, then go for it. Let my former reporter be a lesson in that. He got a job making about twice what he got at my shop, but it also involves him in causes he cares deeply about and doing something he believes in. As far as I know, he's happy with it.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The hours in this profession suck if you have a family. Many's the time I wish I had a boring 9-5 job -- and not because I could make more money.

Draft saved Draft deleted