1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with possible life-changing decision

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Aug 22, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I'm only a year and a half out of school, working at a small (circ. 5,500) daily. The pay is shit but I love what I do. My father's friend has an opening in sales, a ridiculous job that pays around $60K.
    I don't want to leave the business — but the money, the filthy stinking money is almost 200 percent more than I make.
    I know some of you have made the same choice, or at least thought about it, or if you could spare some time, any advice would be welcome.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nobody ever said that once you leave a 5K paper, you can never write again. Opportunities like this don't come along every day. You can always find somewhere to freelance, keep your feet wet. Still, there's something to be said for doing what you love. ... Listen to your heart; listen to your head. Make your own decision. G'luck.

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Hand in your notice today.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ask yourself what your options are if you stay. how much less than $60k are you going to be making 8 years from now ... how much more.

ask yourself why you're still at a 5k paper; how difficult/likely will it be to advance. ask yourself if you believe you can feed a few more mouths in a few more years.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . in an industry which has grown increasingly hostile to any legitimate life-plans of 'most-anyone
    outside the top 0.5% . . .

6. Babs

Babs Member

Knowing now what I didn't know "when I was your age," take the offer. Once you've socked away a nice little retirement stash, you can always go back to writing.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

can i have the sales job if you stay where you're at?

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

are you any good at sales?

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Take the money. Now. Life is easier to regret when you have some money in the bank. $60K right out of school is impressive.

You can always string for a paper.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

"Life is easier to regret when you have some money in the bank."

that may become my new moto in life.

11. captzulu

captzulu Member

If you like sales, I say go for the job and do freelance writing on the side.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Is there any reason why you couldn't have both?

If you like sales, take the job and work 2-3 nights a week as a stringer.

If you don't like sales, no amount of money is going to make you happy.

Draft saved Draft deleted