1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with automotive recall

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Apr 3, 2011.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I think my catalytic converter is clogged. Like, no horsepower clogged.

So, I was doing some research on my car when I stumbled across a voluntary recall issued by Nissan in 2006 to replace a catalytic converter on certain 03/04 Sentras with California emissions. I looked at the recalled VINs and it seems to match.

However, when I called the dealership, they said they couldn't find that my VIN was up for any type of a recall. I'm headed up there tomorrow with the printed out letter and stuff to show that I should fall under this recall.

Now, it's been five years since the recall was issued. I was never notified of the recall and only found it because now I'm in need of a new one.

Should I expect a fight? Is there an expiration date on recalls? All I could find is the NHTSA or NHSTA or whatever the government site is that car companies have to do it for up to 10 years or something like that.

Any advice?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A recall is a recall. It shouldn't expire.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think there is a website where you enter the year and model of the car and they will list all the recalls.

And the dealer should honor it. If they do not, politely ask them why they are not honoring it so you can report that to the Better Business Bureau.

And then go to different dealer to get you car worked on.

The cat converter I think is an $800 part that can be replaced in an hour or two, so there is no profit on their end.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

93, I think that site is just for involuntary recalls.

3bags, I agree, it shouldn't expire. Just wanted to be prepared if there was a fight.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

A few years ago, I had a part on my old car that went bad while I was in the middle of driving two-thirds of the way across the country. Fuel pump, I think it was, or something in that neighborhood. Was under recall, so they fixed it for free, but they still charged me for the diagnostic work. Maybe I should have fought it, but I suspect that it actually may be legit, and I'd be expecting them to try the same with yours.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Diagnostics have become the MF'er of the repair biz. One place wouldn't even roll it into the repair cost if you did the work there, until I kept complaining about that. Now he knocks off the diagnostic fee ($75 or so) if they do the repair.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hmmm .... $800 sounds high. Pretty sure I had a catalytic converter replaced for less than $100. Maybe they vary by make and model (mine was a 1998 Chevy Blazer), but not by that much. To the question at hand, yeah, the recall shouldn't have a statute of limitations.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

To play devil's advocate for a minute...
    The recall was issued in '06 on the 03/04 car. What year did you buy the car? Did you buy it new or used?
    If you bought the car used, that would explain why you didn't get notified about the recall.
    Either way, new or used, what proof does the dealer have that you didn't have this recall work done previously and it's just another problem with the part that you're trying to get done for free?

Despite what I said above, I agree with everyone else that there is no statute of limitations on a recall and the dealer should replace the recalled part for free.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I thought the same thing, EStreet, but it's the original Nissan part, so I guess there's a way to know. I did buy it new in 03.

I never received notice because they had the wrong (really wrong) address on file.

So, even though my VIN falls into the range of VINs in the recall, the dealer could find no record of my car needing the work. So I called Nissan USA. Well, it was really Nissan India. After explaining that I understood that my VIN wasn't in the system as needing the part but wanted to know more than that, I finally got a supervisor who is going to look into it.

Right now, I'm not hopeful.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Call Nissan USA if the dealer isn't playing ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted