1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help with a player of the year debate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NCScrub, May 19, 2008.

1. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

I'll probably get some abuse for bringing this here, but I have a player of the year choice to make and could use some input on how I judge the resumes of the two tennis players in the running.
    Of the two players, one competes in the smaller 2A classification and the other in 3A.

3A player beat 2A player by score of 7-5, 6-2 in only head-to-head meeting.

2A player went 19-5 this year, won singles portion of conference tournament, reached regional final and qualified for the 16-player state championships. He played No. 1 on second-place team is good league and went 9-1 against conference foes in regular season. Was one of only three players in the area to reach regionals (other two were teammates) and was the only player in the area to qualify for states. Went 2-1 in matchup against other county teams (five total teams in county, didn't play one of them that would have been a sure win).

3A player (can't get info on overall record from coach) went roughly .500 at No. 1 against arguably tougher competition in good 3A league. Lost in the first round of the conference tournament (thus falling short of regional and state berths). Went 3-1 vs. other four county teams (one loss was to someone 2A player beat). Also had a loss against another player that 2A player beat. Played on team that finished sixth in the 10-team 3A league.

The 2A player has the clear edge in record and other accomplishments, but the 3A player has a head-to-head win and played one level up, although both leagues are considered strong within their classifications. Should a whole season's worth of work count more than one head-to-head matchup from a month ago? maybe the 2A kid had a bad day against the 3A kid, and that could undermine all the other good things he did? Maybe the 3A player is better and would do similar things if he played in 2A (that isn't clear).

I'll take any feedback on things I might not have considered. Of the five teams in the county, four of the teams were in the same 3A conference and the 2A school was alone, so a vote from coaches might lead to all the 3A coaches sticking together because the 2A school always beats up on all of them.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Go with the white player.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd go with the 2A player, he had a better season and he won the conference. It's player of the year, not best player.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bottom line here is never, ever select an all-area tennis anything.
    Too much wiggle room for good player on bad team vs. average player on great team.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Go with the kid who worked harder.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In the grand scheme of things, what does it matter who you pick? It's subjective BS. Just pick the guy who beat the other guy. Next year there won't be more than five people who remember.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a toughie, though. I might give the edge to 2A though, for the better overall record.

Why not call another coach you respect who doesn't have a dog in this fight and pick his brain?

You can't blow this off because if you are going to pick these players, you need to make the decisions to the best of your ability and feel confident about whichever way you go.

I still have a sick feeling about a couple players we picked 20 years ago because it turns out a newsroom coworker really lobbied the reporter hard to pick his daughters.

8. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

Thanks to those who have answered seriously. Fact is the team and award exists, and they did long before I arrived. I have sent out emails and calls to coaches with no dog in the fight, and they have been helpful. Basically I wanted opinions from fellow writers to see if they were divided just to make sure there wasn't an obvious choice I was blind to. Not stressed about it, realize these things piss off more than they please, but I do want to make a fair choice.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

*cleaning the seltzer off my screen*

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, that was quality work.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Just know that the kid you don't pick will never get a scholarship because his mom won't be able to clip the story out and send it to college coaches.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

See which mom will blow you and if both will, give it to the mom who swallows.
    If they both do, just judge for yourself on which one was better based on your observations.
    And that's actually good advice for all these threads that pop up on player of the year awards. Watch the players who are in the mix, if you aren't covering the sport, then don't blankity blank pick a player of the year award.
    If you did cover tennis, then which player looked better?
    Was the 2A injured when he lost to the 3A kid?

Draft saved Draft deleted