1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help TP's computer live

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awesome. i'll try that if my boy bot doesn't do his biz as soon as the scan is complete.

and thank you.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but won't i lose the spyhunter program that i just spent $30 on last night?

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Yes, but you should have a serial number for the new program so you can reinstall it from the website. Also, if you downloaded the install program to the desktop or elsewhere on the computer, you can drag it to a flash drive and move it back to the computer after the system restore.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

one more question, if that's OK, why is spybot IDing spyhunter as malware (malicious)?

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He probably doesn't even have to go back a month on system restore.

It sounds like he knows when the problem happened (last night), so he might only have to go back a week. That way he wouldn't lose a month's worth of work on the computer.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Anti-spyware programs don't play well with each other. All are designed to get into your registry and remove programs, so they can conflict with one another.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Use the smokescreen, stay on the gun and watch out for that damn helicopter.

[​IMG]

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Right . . . I missed the timeframe on that. Any time prior to the infection will be OK. Regardless, he won't lose any data (documents or anything else) he's created since then.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

spybot is going nuts. it's IDed about 250 items, and i've run about 5 spyhunter searches in the past 12 hours.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

A lot of those are probably tracking cookies, which aren't ideal but usually don't cause problems. It's not a bad idea to get rid of them though.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

cool. thank you.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Right now I'm working on Mr. Rosie's computer (his got messed up somehow) - do a search for my posts on AVG and spyware, start with that.

More later...

Draft saved Draft deleted