1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help to break an apartment lease early-- please!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Jan 26, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I just changed jobs approximately a month ago, and I need to figure out a way to break my apartment lease so I can move closer to the new job. My fiancee and I resigned the lease in October, and I just changed jobs at the beginning of January (Jan. 6).

Is there anything I can do to break the lease? I'm renting from a corporation, not just a regular guy who owns a place.

And I know every state is different, but I'll help the process (not trying to out myself), but saying that I live in the state where Hillary Clinton is Senator and Eliot Spitzer is the Governor.

Any help is appreciated!

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

You may want to just ask them about getting out of it. Sometimes, they're sticklers about that shit, but the owners of your current complex may have a building that he would allow you to move into without an extra charge that's closer to your new gig.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I second grifter, because depending on your market, the complex could also have a waiting list and won't mind you leaving to open it up for someone else.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Get evicted.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Take a dump on your lawn every day. You'll be out in not time.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What's the lease say re: leaving early?

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I once rented for a corporation, and they let me out of the lease with a letter from my new employer, telling them I'd swapped jobs.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sabotage a plumbing fixture, go to work and come home to an unlivable apartment.

Voila!

And, of course, blame the rental company for installing cheap fixtures.

It'll look suspicious if you don't have some of your PP damaged.

(Hey, PP is short for personal property, you perverts!)

Of course, all of this post is a joke. I agree with grifter. Ask. They may be cooler about it than you imagine. And as new daddy TBF says, get a letter from your employer about the job change.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

1) Move out.
    2) Put fake personal stuff in the apartment.
    3) Set the place on fire.
    4) Run like hell.
    5) Enjoy your new place.

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I just told my apartment complex that I was leaving and that I'd give them X dollars over the course of X months.
    Figure out what you can pay to break it and that's that. They don't want to sue you and you don't want to be sued. Just be as honest as you can.

11. accguy

accguy Member

Couple of things:

1. If it is a big apartment company, they might let you out if you move into one of their other properties.

2. Would your new employer pay to get you out of it as part of your relocation? I had a paper do that once.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A lot of times, they'll surprise you and say its OK to end the lease.. you might have to pay a final month's rent, but they'll do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted