1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help sleeping

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jul 30, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's how I've done it since I could remember. I just set the timer on the tube and drift. For me, it diverts my mind from bouncing around to dozens of different subjects. I think that's why I have trouble sleeping with no television: I can't keep my mind focused on sleep.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I have had problems sleeping since I have been 10 years old (I'll be 53 in August). I know all of the old remedies and bromides - warm milk, don't read before bed, etc. With me, it's a question of it being difficult to go to sleep or impossible.

A couple of things:

1. See a doctor. Maybe they can prescribe something.
    2. Somebody said when you take a pill (I can't remember it, but the name was on the thread) they feel lousy all day. That was the reason I was hesitant to take pills. A psychiatrist told me if you take the pills for two weeks, the sluggishness will go away.
    3. Exercise is good, especially walking. I say walking because it addition to the health benefits, it can be relaxing for your mind and this might help with sleep.
    4. I tried Tylenol PM several years ago, and thought they were effective. Then I bought the store brand in Wal-Mart and that didn't help. So I don't know.
    5. The most effective medicine at helping me sleep wasn't even for sleeping. Everything I would get for a cough or whatever would caution me about causing drowsiness. Almost all of them didn't have that effect.
    The best medicine I had to make me go to sleep was something I took for a nasty itch/rash I got from a reaction to shellfish. I also get something I think it was called something like Atarax, although that may have been the generic name. I haven't eaten shellfish in five years, but I used the medicine until it ran out. Like I say, it isn't prescribed for sleeping, but it worked well.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

He asked twice and no one responded. And technically, I didn't explain, I just provided a link.

Last night I went to bed at 12:30, woke up at 3:30, fell back asleep at 4. Alarm went off at 7:45, went back to sleep at 9:30 and got up for good at about 12:30.

4. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Magnesium is the answer.

I have used it and it helps you sleep and sleep well. If you have problems sleeping for a solid eight (or however many) hours, it will help too.

Added bonus: Because of the extra uninterrupted REM sleep, you will have crazy, vivid dreams. In a good way.

Just take a magnesium supplement in the evening. Trust me.

5. Dignan

Dignan Guest

1. No soft drinks after 9 p.m.
    2. Exercise

I've tried Ambien, and it's good stuff. The morning grogginess you will feel goes away pretty quickly.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Here's a typical night for me: Fall asleep about 6:30 a.m., wake up about 9:15, go back to sleep, wake up about 9:45, go back to sleep, wake up about 10:15, go back to sleep, wake up about 11:30, go back to sleep, wake up about noon, go back to sleep, wake up about 12:30, go back to sleep, wake up about 1, go back to sleep, wake up about 1:15, go back to sleep, wake up about 1:30 and usually stay up.

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

During the school year I basically wake up every half hour, for at least a few minutes, and at least one or two of those will be for 20 minutes or more.

It sucks.

It's better when school's out, but it's still not normal.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I have problems staying asleep as well. I like Ambien, when I can get a prescription or free samples from my PCP. I'm a regular Tylenol PM user. Somtimes I will augment those with Benedryl. I used to squirrel away vicodin and percosets from my various surgeries, but I'm now out. I could very easily become addicted to either of those, if given the opportunity.

Of course, I do everything you're not supposed to do....lights are on, TV is on, drink diet pepsi, etc. etc. so it's hard to feel very sorry for me.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

Pallister: Some people never are able to adjust to an odd schedule. I don't know why, but I know it happens.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ok, my bad.

11. KG

KG Active Member

Try Goody's PM.

I have trouble falling asleep and then trouble staying asleep. I'll sleep about an hour and wake up like I just slept several. A while later I'll fall asleep again, only to wake up again. I feel like I'm too bored to sleep. But when I take the Goody's PM, they knock me out cold and I usually sleep until the alarm wakes me up.

Back when the cough syrups had the good stuff in them. They'd knock me out so long as I tried to go to sleep. But if I didn't try, or if something ended up waking me up, I'd be in that same too bored to sleep boat.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nyquil: The nighttime coughing, sniffling, sneezing how the fuck did I end up on the kitchen floor medicine?

Draft saved Draft deleted