1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help Settle An Etiquette Dispute

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Oct 1, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Unless I read it wrong the wedding was not called off.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Don't you have a year to get them a gift? That was my working assumption in my 20s, anyway. Waited the full year most times, and there were one or two where that patience ended up saving me some money.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i would've given them the gift... you attended their wedding and intended to do so, then blah blah blah... they finally re-married. forget the 'etiquette' from the dear abbys of the world. this was your friend's wedding/marriage. what did your gut tell you? seems to me it's been telling you forwarding the gift to them should've been the way to go but only you can answer that. but finally sending them a 'better late than never' card would've covered all your bases and perfectly described your feeling and theirs for the entire mini-drama.

imho, anyhoo, fwiw -- which probably ain't much... ::)

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The part I object to is that your mistake, not bringing the card initially, absolves you of giving the gift entirely. That doesn't seem right or fair. You intended to give a gift, forgot and never gave it to them. Everyone else (I assume) at the wedding gave a gift. And the couple was married and stayed married.

Forgetting to bring the dip to a party and forgetting to bring a gift to a wedding are very different things. I am on your wife's side, but I can't imagine I would be thinking about it 13 years later.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this before.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Put it this way -- I was out with him one night and we meet up two girls that he was in grad school with. It is pretty apparent that one of the two of them was very cozy with him and after about 30 minutes, he leaves with her. Surprising to me because seemed serious with his girlfriend. The next night he calls me and tells me that he just got engaged. I asked if it was the brunette the night before and he acted like I was crazy and said that he just proposed to his longtime girlfriend. So no shock that there were some bumps in the road.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was more than a year -- probably 18 months. It was a over a year since I saw him last.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Divorce your wife.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and then return your wedding gifts

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Perhaps a small donation in their name to the Human Fund would suffice?

[​IMG]

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Creosote, has anyone been with you long enough to get you three wedding gifts?

That's a friend.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, you've got quite a scam going.

Weird, I was told to hold the date months ago, and haven't seen an invite. What a dick move!

Draft saved Draft deleted