1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

help, please, deciphering an act score

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jun 25, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

my eldest recently took an act test to supplement his sat score. sat's i understand -- he did fine for the first time (1,200) and i'm sure will up that a bit when he takes 'em again in the fall.

this act stuff is greek to me, though. he got a 27 (out of 36) and he seems quite okay with it. anyone know if this is any good? ??? ??? ???

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I got a 27. It's the high end of "pretty good," a bit shy of great.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That's a pretty good score.

A 17 used to be what you had to have to be eligible to play sports in college. Average score used to be about a 23-24.

EDIT: I got a 31, but that was many moons ago.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, a 1,200 SAT score isn't all that good, considering it's now out of 2,400 (they added a writing portion).

A 27 ACT score is above average, and won't prevent him from getting into most schools. But if his grades aren't there, that score won't help him break any ties, if that makes sense.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I never took the SAT, as it wasn't a big determiner where I'm from, but the ACT was a big deal.

I took it five times between seventh grade and my senior year, and got a range of scores between 23 and 33.

In order to be accepted to the state schools (OU, OSU, UCO, etc.) you had to make a 21. That plus passing your required courses automatically meant you were accepted, no provisions, no nothing.

The average national score my senior year was 24. With a 33, I was eligible for a scholarship from the state board of regents which covered all of my tuition and fees at a state school (I, stupidly, opted to go to a private school... so much for good test scores meaning you're smart).

I will now go curse myself for having this worthless information in my brain eight years after the fact.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since I screwed around in high school (hyperactivity didn't help), the 27 on the ACT got me into college...

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

sorry, should've been clearer: his 1,200 sat score was out of 1,600. the third 800 of which you speak is not automatically included yet. ::) ::) ::)

if 27 means the high-end of "pretty good" but short of "great," that would be consistent with his academic record. he's a classic underachiever. never cracks open a book to prepare for anything.

kind of like his old man. ::) ??? 8)

thanks for the perspective, all.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

JDV got a 12.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

27 will get him into a good school with decent grades.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

In my home state, a 30 or above got you a state-sponsored scholarship to go to a public school in-state. I took it three times, got the 30 on the third try. And just to brag, I actually got a perfect 36 on the reading section that third time. Of course, the 22 I got on the math part kinda hurt my overall score. Fucking calculus bullshit.

Clearly I've chosen a profession that makes the most use of my talents (reading and writing) and keeps me as far from my weaknesses (math) as possible.

Also, I believe 30 and above is 99th percentile. One kid in my graduating class got a perfect 36 and went to West Point.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Took it once, sorta hung over, got a 29. Good enough for me.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Got a 29 my first time and I was ecstatic. Brought it home and my mother said "Well, your cousins all scored over 30. You need to take it again."

Draft saved Draft deleted