1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help planning a Montana vacation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

If you're in Missoula check out the Missoula Club the proud home of Cold Burgers and Warm Beer. Tell the regulars you're from out of town and they'll make it their mission to make sure you feel welcome both in the bar and in the town.

This probably doesn't apply to you but Missoula is a very cool place to see a football game if you're there in the fall.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good god, i didn't know you did kaispell. how many years, and did the freakin' SE at the place tell you part of your pay was the environment?

and i love the spell, btw.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Glacier National Park is great. And driving the Going to the Sun Highway is not that big a deal. I did it in both directions using the roadside guide to Glacier geology as a "guide" and had a great time.

Butte is interesting if you want to see what happens to a town that used to be incredibly rich because of the mining done there - - and the enviromental destruction that it left behind. It's not nearly "upscale" anymore...

Bozeman has a natural history museum dedicated in the main to dinosaurs that is entertaining.

Missoula is a "big city" in the context of Montana. One of the local brews there is called "Moose Drool". If you like dark beers, it's pretty good.

Montana has been trying to develop vinyards and wine making in the past decade or so. Last time I was there, I sampled some of the local merlots. They were AWFUL; you shouldn't use them to wash your car. Stick with the beers...

If you head down toward Yellowstone, drive the Beartooth Highway from Yellowstone to Red Hat. Charles Kuralt said it was the prettiest drive in the US. I don't know if that is the case, but there is some spectacular scenery.

If you are in Yellowstone and drive out the northeast gate to Gardiner Montana, stop on the highway at Helen's for a buffalo cheeseburger. The place is a dive by the side of the road with an ambience that makes Denny's look like a 5-star eatery. Nevertheless, the buffalo cheeseburger is simply outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted