1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help planning a Montana vacation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Mar 16, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

My wife wants to go to Montana, specifically western Montana, for our summer vacation/10th year anniversary. Neither of us has ever set foot in the state, so I'm looking for ideas. I'd appreciate the help.

Post them here or feel free to PM me. Thanks.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do either of you fly fish or fish at all? Montana is one of my dream destinations for a fishing trip.

3. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I believe BigSleeper is paging SC to the white courtesy phone.

I have spent many summers in Yellowstone, but been to Missoula only once... a long time ago.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Neither of us is into fishing. I'm one of those kind of people that will only kill another living thing out of necessity, unless it's an annoying co-worker or someone who rides in the passing line on the freeway.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Catch-and-release, Sleeper.

How about rafting? http://www.montanawhitewater.com/

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Now you're talking. Thanks.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Glacier National Park is a MUST. If you go in mid-to late July, there is a chance you'll be able to travel on the Road to the Sun, a hellacious drive over the Continental Divide (but there are also tour busses). Also highly recommend hiking to Avalanche Lake. It's not a difficult hike and the lake, surrounded on almost all sided by snow-covered peaks is spectacular. The area around Flathead Lake is fantastic, Whitefish, Kalispell et. al. There is a Bison Preserve in the area as well, only saw a couple bison during the winding drive through the preserve, but as soon as I left, I came across a ranch with dozens of bison. Incredible sight to see.
    A few good brew pubs in Missoula.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Great ideas. I saw a thing on the history channel about the Road to the Sun. No way in hell and I'm driving that on my own. We'll take the bus.

9. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

I'm a big fan of Bozeman, not a big fan of Butte (one of their biggest tourist attractions is a superfund site. You pay to look at a huge hole filled with toxic water). If you and the wife play golf and happen to be anywhere near Anaconda, check out Oldworks golf course. It's a pretty nice Nicklaus course, and because it's in the middle of nowhere, it's only $40 or something like that.

And as DanOregon mentioned, the Flathead lake, Whitefish area is worth a visit.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

gotta do glacier and flathead.

bypass lolo hot springs. not worth the time.

also, if you want to go camping on the blackfoot (see a river runs through it, even though it wasn't filmed there) outside of missoula, PM me.

you're also close enough to yellowstone and the grand titans to include at least one of the two.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Make sure to visit one of the dental floss farms.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I`m back from vacation tomorrow. I`ll post suggestions then. Sorry for the delay.

Draft saved Draft deleted