1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help needed: Trying to find an old game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, May 8, 2008.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Sports Illustrated baseball was our low-tech dice game of choice:

[​IMG]

One Christmas I got the SI game where you played the Decathlon and you could be Rafer Johnson, Jim Thorpe or a bunch of guys you never heard of.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Was a Negamco baseball guy, myself.

Strat-O-Matic was OK, and ol' ABPA certainly had its merits.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Strat-o-Matic was some of the most fun I ever had with my clothes on.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

LOVED that game.

Traded my neighbor something -- I can't remember what -- for it.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

A caveman just called me. He wants his game back.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Pursue the Pennant was another in the line of baseball strategy games.

Real big in the mid- to late 1980s.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I still have NFL Strategy stashed away in a box somewhere. How much will you give me for it, AA? :D

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Spent hours playing this game, and once played the entire 1967-68 Oakland Oaks season.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

the version we had of it was called FOTO-ELECTRIC FOOTBALL.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Ah, bringing me back to my low-tech childhood.

I had both NFL Strategy and Bas-Ket as a kid, but my favorite one was this game called NFL Quarterback. I got Strategy a couple of years after Quarterback thinking it was an upgrade, but then went back to playing Quarterback.

Quarterback had long horizontal cards, about 10-12 each for offense and defense. Offensive cards (red for running plays, blue for passing plays) had color bars with all sorts of yardage results listed, and the defense cards had holes punched out on one end. You would place the offensive play in the designated slot and put the defensive card over it so it would show a result for each color. Then you would hit the spinner with a small football and whatever color it landed on would determine the result of the play, to be marked off on the small football field above the cards/spinner.

It was very low tech, but I loved it. I had an imaginary football league and I would play out whole seasons on it.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I did the same thing, except with my Mattel Football II game. I can't summon up the words to describe how giddy I was when that was re-released a few years ago.

And speaking of low-tech, it gets no more organic--nor better--than this:

[​IMG]

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

In my living room right now I have a PS2 and a Wii. Yet whenever any of my friends come over, they're immediately drawn to the Mattel Electronic Football AND Baseball games I have on my coffee table. And they wind up playing them almost the whole time they're over.

Draft saved Draft deleted