1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help needed: Trying to find an old game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, May 8, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK...Lieslntx and I are struggling to remember a game we played as kids. It was a football game (can't remember if it was NFL-licensed or not). You used the long plastic cards, each one representing a particular play. One for offense and one for defense. You'd slide the cards in, flick a little plastic football centered by two springs, then pull the cards out, registering the yardage, results of the play, etc.

I thought it was called NFL Strategy, but Amazon searches didn't help.

Any ideas?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK. I did a more detailed web search and it is indeed called NFL Strategy...so I guess I answered my own question.

3. Speaking of which ...... anybody remember Monday Night Football game? It had a similar set up: Offense puts in a long card, defense does the same. There were about 10-20 plays on each card. You had this little sliding thing that you would line up with the play you wanted, and defense did the same. When both sides were ready, you hit this little switch and the results of the play would light up in a small box on the field (5 yard gain, 3 yard loss, turnover, touchdown, etc.)

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Today's children think your childhood was pathetic.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Remember it well. The best non-electronic, mass-marketed football table game ever that wasn't based on the performances of actual individuals/teams.

My historic recollection is that it WAS league-licensed. Wasn't cheap.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Amazon simply doesn't have it, though. Grrrrr! I would LOVE to have that game again.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There are a couple of copies on eBay. Let's put it this way: it'll cost you more to have it shipped to you than it'll cost you to buy it, it would appear. Happy bidding.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to wait till I get home from Little Man's T-ball practice since ebay is blocked here at work.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Both copies I'm CERTAIN are of interest to you don't close for at least four days, so you're good.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sounds cool. Decidedly low-tech. Long after Nontendo's advent, one of my college roommates turned me on to Statomatic baseball. Same kind of thing. Jesus, we used to play that alot in the dorm. Even converted it into a drinking game, and got some of the girls' on our floor playing. Should've married one of those demonstrably, provably cool chicks, now that I think about it.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Avalon Hill also made Baseball Strategy.

I used to kick my brother's ass in that football game. I had marked the cards so I knew what defense he was throwing down and I'd call the perfect counter play.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a good game. Certain plays (heh, heh) provide a competitive edge far greater than you'd enjoy in a game played on grass between equivalent teams, but nothing's perfect.

Draft saved Draft deleted