1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help: Need some music suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jan 10, 2010.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm sure we've done this before, but I could find it. I'm bored with most of my current music and need some suggestions. I figured you guys and gals are the best for the job and could offer plenty of suggestions.

I like most types of music with the exception of those that are on the extreme edges of their genre like extreme heavy metal, hardcore rap, Nashville country, alternative country like Shooter Jennings (although, I'm a Texas Country fan).

My preferences are classic country, blues, Thin Lizzy, The Black Crowes, Chili Peppers, etc., and most classic rock, but I'm certainly open to any suggestion.

I'm trying to get some fresh stuff before I head to Afghanistan.

Thanks, guys.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you like some Americana with a classic country edge, check out Amanda Shires, her solo disc, West Cross Timbers and her duet disc with Rod Picott, Sew Your Heart With Wires.

West Cross Timbers samples - http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/amandashires2
    Sew Your Heart With Wires - http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/rodandamanda

Read the comparisons (recommended if you like..), the reviews, listen to the samples and let me know if that's up your alley.

Other artists I'd recommend along the lines of your comments are Slaid Cleaves (his latest - Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away is outstanding) and Joe Ely (get one of his live discs or his Love & Danger album)

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Tons of great stuff at this indie site: http://www.hearya.com/

I don't know how much of it will dig, but I bet there are a few things there you will like.

Check out the live sessions that are done exclusively for the site.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The new Black Crowes album is pretty awesome (I think they recorded it live in the studio with an audience). You'll love the disco track.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

TBF, Check out The Tragically Hip, Canadian band that I am suprised never really hit in the US.

Download Blow at High Dough, New Orleans is Sinking, 100th Meridian, fairly representative of their earlier stuff.

Blue Rodeo is another great Canadian band that you might like.

6. Faithless

Faithless Member

If you like classic rock, you can't go wrong with songs from Rush's best albums: Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

7. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Our Lady Peace and the latest Pearl Jam album are tops on my list. Just Breathe has to be one of the best songs not on the radio right now.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Hip should be huge in the US but to me they have always been too Canadian (Rheostatics fit here too), if that makes any sense, to make a serious dent below the 49th. To me their first four or five albums are the best to check out. "Wheat Kings" is my fave Hip song, "Nautical Disaster" takes the place money.

I don't think Blue Rodeo has ever made a clunker album.

I'll second E Street's mention of the terrific Joe Ely.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Not sure if they're new enough for you, but I heartily recommend the Silversun Pickups.

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Put Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, and Willie Nelson in a blender and you'l wind up with the Supersuckers. How the Supersuckers Became the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World is a compilation that covers their early singles up to their final days on Sub Pop. There's a handful of rarities and previously unreleased stuff thrown in for good measure. If you want to start out with a proper album I would suggest The Evil Powers of Rock n Roll.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I tout these guys over and over on these threads, but Built to Spill and The Hold Steady are as pretty damn close to rock bands in the 1970s that you will find playing today.

(a piano and horns in a rock song!!!)

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Damnit, I really wanted to suggest Thin Lizzy.

Black Keys (any of their albums, but "Chulahoma," an album of Junior Kimbrough songs, would be right up your alley)
    Dan Auerbach's "Keep It Hid" -- Auerbach is the lead singer for the Black Keys
    White Stripes' "De Stijl" (this is their best, IMO, and it's blues rock from start to finish -- "Death Letter" is on it)
    Raconteurs' "Consolers of the Lonely"
    Walt Wilkins' "Rivertown" (great Texas country)
    Warren Zevon (any of his compilation albums, as long as it has "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" on it
    Gov't Mule (Deep End, Vols. I & II)
    Drive-by Truckers (anything they've ever done, but "Dirty South," "Decoration Day" and "Southern Rock Opera top the list, IMO
    Jason Isbell (either of his solo albums, "Sirens of the Ditch" and "Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit" are very good southern rock/soul albums

Draft saved Draft deleted