1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HELP!!!!!! MY wife is reading Twilight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

She borrowed the books from a friend who was actually trying to get rid of them. The friend couldn't find the second and third books, so my wife read Twilight and Breaking Wind, errr . . . Dawn.

She's almost done with the fourth and final book. I asked if it felt like she missed anything significant in the middle books, and she said, "Not really . . . it's crap. Poorly written crap."

Whew. Crisis averted.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Congratulations that it was just a close call.

I suppose a good thing about not having a wife is not having to worry about her falling sway to that shit. :D

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Queen went through all four of them in about a day. Stayed up until 3 a.m. in the hotel the night before Thanksgiving until I finally declared LIGHTS OUT.
    Not sure her opinion on them. She was too busy reading to talk.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

So did my wife last summer, she borrowed the first book from my sister-in-law and then bought the other three on my kindle. Did not sleep for 48 hours.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why did that threaten you? Just go buy a pair of cheap fangs and have fun!

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Damn...how many of you are married to 13 year olds?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This was going to be my post, only a much more vicious attack on Piotr for being a perv.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You're right.

But I do feel bad for this generation of teenage boys, who have to date the girls whose views of relationships are colored by these books.

"Why doesn't my boyfriend say he craves me? Why doesn't he glow in the sun? Why aren't we angsty?!?!?"

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hey, I was a teen in the 1980s. We had plenty of angst back then.
    I was a poster boy for angst.
    I was like the blond Robert Smith.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did your teenage angst have a body count?

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've read about one chapter of the first book so that I could see for myself that they are as poorly written as I expected. Beyond that, from people I know and trust who have read them, they preach the idea of women being subservient to men. So these books should get a giant thumbs down from anyone with half a brain. Yet I know way too many intelligent people who have read them. Quite baffling.

12. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

My sister really likes these books for some reason. I can't get past vampires that "sparkle" in the sunlight. I also read that the Twilight author hasn't read Anne Rice because she finds Rice's stuff too gross apparently. "I've seen little pieces of Interview with a Vampire when it was on TV, but I kind of always go YUCK!"

She also said she saw bits of the "Lost Boys" but it was too creepy to keep watching.

Not someone I want creating vampire fiction for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted