1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by prithvi, Sep 1, 2010.

1. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

If you love sports, don't become a sports journalist. Stay a fan, you'll enjoy sports more.

Become a sports journalist if you love to write. Even as a TV or radio broadcaster, you'll write everything you say (or at least your notes so you can successfully ad-lib). You'll blog and tweet and have to converse and more ways than you count via the written word.

At some point in this job, your love of sports diminishes. Maybe not all the way - I still love games I'm not covering - but certainly to a degree. What keeps you going is your love of a good story, of crafting a perfect sentence. Then crafting a second, and a third, and a fourth, until you've crafted a story that you're proud of.

That's what this business is all about.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Have you ever heard of the space bar? Or were the spaces held up in customs?

3. prithvi

prithvi New Member

Thanks sir. :).
    No sir.I love to write too.I love to put it up too.And I enjoy sports too.Its like that.But,the issue is,how good this field is?People are scaring me off.They say,its no good field.They say,the jobs are not at all secure.We might be sacked any time.Is it true?Also,the salary.They say its just worse.True?

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You're only 16, so it doesn't really matter. But, yes, it's all true.

See Ace's and BobSacamano's earlier posts to see what to do about it.

(Oh, and a word of immediate advice, just so it doesn't bug all of us: Insert a space between sentences in your posts).

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'll call bs on that.
    Your love for sports does not have to diminish. I love sports more now than at any point since I was a teen, and that was a long, long time ago.
    In fact, based on comments to me, I'd say the ability to convey that passion is what has been most responsible for my successes.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can still love sports, but you have to put aside your fandom for any team you cover.

And if you are a big fan of a college or pro team you don't cover, you won't be free to go to their games very often.

7. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

Exactly. For me, personally, I enjoy the sports. I love the sports (baseball, football, etc.) rather than the specific teams.

8. prithvi

prithvi New Member

How are you guys managing it then?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey. I went to a MAC school....

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

This is absolutely true.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

when you learn everything about each sport, find out what you still don't know and question knowledge. It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

Draft saved Draft deleted