1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by prithvi, Sep 1, 2010.

1. prithvi

prithvi New Member

Hello all.This is Prithvi,16.Aspiring to be a sports journalist.Well,I want to do BA via dist learning first.What course to do?BA in s\journalism and broadcasting and then MA in Sports journalism?or directly BA in sports journalism?Also please say which British univ offers Dist learning for the BA course.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

First off, welcome.
    Now, don't go to college. That's a waste of time.
    Step 1 is get a twitter account and learn html, or whatever the kids are doing the interwebs with and make a blog.
    I forget step 2, but Step 3 is where you count all your money.
    Good luck and best wishes.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just say you went to "Michigan" and let people draw their own conclusions.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/101506/saturday-night-live-university-of-westfield-online

I don't know how many Brits are on here, but if you are 16, you can look for a college yourself. I did.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Prithvi,

I would not consider a BA or MA in sports journalism if such a thing even exists.

You could study journalism, but I would strongly consider you major in something else and maybe double major in journalism, minor in journalism or just work in journalism (school paper, stringing for local paper) while getting a degree in something else.

If you are really into sports writing, maybe consider a major in sports management or something like that.

In journalism you will be judged much more on your clips than your degree (though a degree from a prestigious journalism school does open more doors).

But I would rather have a more rounded education these days and have more opportunities open -- in sports information, sports management, marketing, etc.

5. prithvi

prithvi New Member

True sir.Its good to have more opportunities.Thats why,I was asking.I feel I need some training in sports writing.Also,I am interested in Broadcasting too.Because,I get more opportunities.So,what do you suggest?A BA in Journalism and Broadcasting and then MA in sports journalism?Also,you seem to have good experience.People around me are scaring me off.They say,the field is'nt good.They say,the salary is'nt good enough.What do you say?Thanks.
    Hi Stich.Thanks for the link.I tried a lot to search for a college ,but could'nt.Can you give me some info on which US or Brit univ's offer the courses I mentioned above via dist learning.Thanks.
    Hello Jay.Thanks.I am on my way to make a blog.Could you suggest what to post in?Like I have good knowledge in football and Cricket.I am passionate about both sports.Yeah,and tennis too.I am just asking,what to post in,like reports or what?Thanks. :)

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sock puppet. If you can find this site, you can find a college. It's not that difficult. I found all sorts of information about college before the Web was available to the public.

To be honest, if you aren't a sock puppet, you need training in writing, which you can get in secondary school, before you consider making a career of it.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Privthi,

Your friends are right. The field isn't good, the salaries aren't great. The hours stink. You have to love it.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Should I kick your ass now, or wait until you least expect it (and I didn't go to Michigan)?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not as if I went to an Ivy League, BCS or a school mentioned for academic achievements. BTW, watch the clip I posted.

10. prithvi

prithvi New Member

Sorry mate.Could you give the URL of the site?
    Mate,I am really scared now. :(.I love sports.I am passionate.What if I dont succeed in this field?

11. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

You'll know way before it's too late. And if you have the talent to really pull it off, it's going to become an issue of patience.

You're only 16, little man. Once you begin your higher education and start taking other courses, you might find something that not only makes more sense as a career path, but actually speaks to you. I started college in the states as a marketing major with intentions to jump into advertisement. I loved it, loved the earning potential, and was convinced of it until journalism started happening for me.

What's true for you now may not be true after two years of education, and whatever you change your mind to probably won't be true on the eve of graduation.

This, by no means, is to imply that you shouldn't pursue it. Learn the craft, try and master it (like we all still are), and be involved to whatever capacity your schedule can justify. Just don't be so sure of anything at an age where, quite honestly, you don't know anything.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Match-fixing in cricket is a good option now.

Draft saved Draft deleted