1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me with possessives

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Jul 13, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

First time I came across this, and now I'm really confused because both parties sound right. I just know we've used "girls' basketball" forever.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's always girls basketball. Girls don't possess the sport, they describe it.
    "Oakland draft needs include" - is also correct.

SFIND likes this.
  3. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I would argue that the Oakland Raiders possess their draft needs though.

4. Rhody31

Correct.
    Actually, I think both would be correct in this situation, no? I hate/love this shit.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I could argue that both are correct as well, but I prefer the Oakland's draft argument.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't like using possessives. They are too clingy.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This tends to be a style thing at papers. Some go with the possessive.

8. Rhody31

Which makes absolutely no sense because the girls do not possess the sport. They are playing it. Worse when you see "Girl's," even worse, and I swear this is true, the door for a locker room at an RI country club says "Ladie's Locker Room."

Ace likes this.
  9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I admit I'm a word nerd, but I couldn't help taking some pictures while at my local Target store. And, yes, I forwarded them to Target's corporate office and gave them a hard time about being a billion-dollar corporation but not being able to hire a part-time proofreader.

womens.jpg girls.jpg boys.jpg

To its credit, Target acknowledged its people don't have a grasp of basic grammar ... but it said the same thing when I pointed the same mistakes out a year ago, from a different store.

10. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

Men's basketball. Women's basketball.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

your mama not you're mama

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Make this clear: You can make a case for "boys basketball" and "boys' basketball" but never "boy's basketball." I'd argue it's descriptive and not possessive, so "boys basketball" is correct, even though the parallel usage is "men's basketball."

I always struggle with the top 25 -- "coaches poll" or "coaches' poll"? It is a poll voted on by coaches, so the former is certainly correct, but they also take ownership of it, so the possessive also works.

I know people who have written for major dailies for decades and still struggle with a plural mascot as adjective in the team-position-name construction: "Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers threw a touchdown." But "The Packers' Aaron Rodgers is headed to the Pro Bowl."

It gets worse in a headline: You want "Bears' Cutler to miss Sunday's game" or "Bears QB Cutler to miss Sunday's game" but never "Bears Cutler to miss Sunday's game." People get this wrong constantly.

Draft saved Draft deleted