1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me with possessives

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Jul 13, 2011.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Since I've been editing, I find that I have trouble with when to use a team name as a possessive. Feels like I see it different ways, and I'm not sure what's right, or if it's a style thing..

Cardinals' first baseman Albert Pujols
    Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols

or..

Cardinals pitchers
    Cardinals' pitchers

etc.

What say you SportsJournalists.com?

2. airbag2929

airbag2929 New Member

In the two instances you show, i say no apostrophe. Look at it this way: I live in Baton Rouge and I wouldn't say LSU's first baseman John Smith, i would say LSU first baseman John Smith. So i wouldn't say Tigers' first baseman, i would say Tigers first baseman. That is how we do it at our paper. Hope that helps some.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols
    Not possessive because it's a singular person.

Cardinals' pitchers

Possessive because the Cards own the GROUP of pitchers.

I'm not sure if that's right. I'm sure someone else will check in to affirm or deny.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No apostrophe in either case.

While we're on the subject, I've seen Red Sox' and White Sox' used in print. When did that become correct?

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

No apostrophe in the first, you need the rest of the sentence to decide on the second.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Agreed. How I interpret the rules:

Justin Bieber met Cardinals pitchers on a plane.

The Cardinals' pitchers have been weary since the All-Star break.

Cardinals pitchers Dick McGee and Johnny Rocket signed baseballs after the game.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Probably at the same time the NYT decided to go with Wisc. and Tex.

8. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Just so.

9. nck228

nck228 Member

Seconded. In the first and third cases, the word "Cardinals" is serving as an adjective that modifies "pitchers" (it describes what kind of pitchers they are, if that makes sense).

In the middle example, Cardinals is serving as a possessive noun... you could write "the pitchers of the Cardinals" in its place, and it would make sense (it'd be a awkward sentence, yeah, but technically it's still grammatically correct.)

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Ding.
    Just remember, adjectives aren't possessives - hence it's not girls' basketball, it's girls basketball.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

So, for my idiot-proof rule, looks like it's only possessive if there's a "the" before the team?

Or, if you can swap the name for the city (St. Louis for Cardinals) then it's not possessive.

Those sound right?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. I was taught to sub in the city and that's what I go by.

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted