1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me with a reality check...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Jan 2, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Did not know they were rivals until this thread and I watch a considerable amount of college hoops. Mostly Big Ten games and the tournaments.

2. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

I think they are not both on all packages; mine, for example. ESPNU? The only time I hear of it is when there is a game I want to watch, and can't.

As for there being too much college basketball on TV, hell, there's too much TV on TV. Try channel surfing at 8 PM sometime. I'm sure that, within their region, there are many people who want to watch Cincinnati vs. Xavier. I've never written college hoops, I've never lived within 500 miles of there, and I know it's a rivalry.

I ain't sayin' I'd watch the game myself...

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Sure it's a rivalry. But what, perhaps a C or D-List rivalry? It's not a conference matchup, which is needed for most college hoops rivalries to be relevant. Otherwise it's just two non-conference teams mixing it up once a year. I mean hell, damn near every ACC school plays UNC-Greensboro every year, going on the road when the ACC Tourney is being held at Greensboro and then bringing them in to get waxed when it isn't.

4. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

My point: it ought to be televised on an outlet that allows interested people in the region to watch it. The Pac 10 is a good example. The UDub Huskies are pretty good this year, and people in greater Seattle will watch when they play. But only 12 of their 18 conference games are scheduled for televising as of now. That can change, of course; but if those games are on the tube, they will draw a decent audience, although some of the opponents can be classified as rivals in only the vaguest sense.

ESPN vs. ESPN 2? Only germane if many potential viewers don't have the latter. Otherwise, tempest in a teapot. (Chili pot?)

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a college hoops junkie and I grew up in southern/central Indiana. I definitely know about the rivalry. Since it's usually a pretty good game, I'll tune in for it, if it's on. But I don't seek it out. And I could not care less what channel it's on.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No difference now between the Deuce and the Mothership. If you can't get ESPN2, you probably should switch to satellite.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Skyline is better. And love graeters however it's spelled

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Friends on.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

10. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Count me in as among those who didn't realize they played basketball much less counted it as a "heated rivalry."

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just... can't. Yet another thing that tells me I'll never be a true Cincinnatian. Don't like Jimmy Buffet, can't stand goetta, cackle like an evil genius when the Bengals and Reds lose. I'm a foreigner in a foreign land...

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Lots of folks, including my parents. They have cable in their condo, but they also have a big public party room in their condo complex that has a 47-inch tv. But since the party room is in a common area of the complex it's only hooked up to a digital antenna. So the big gathering they wanted to have with a bunch of their neighbors in the complex couldn't happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted