1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help Me Spend Some Dough on a BBQ

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I am going to have to replace my little 2 burner Kenmore grill soon and with most places putting their stock on clearance this time of year, I figured now was the time to buy.

I am looking to spend no more than about 4 hundred, hopefully quite a bit less and I am pretty sure I want something with 4 burners.

Anybody got something they love?

Thanks

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm in the same boat as you; and I've love to get a Char-Broil Infrared or Weber Genesis, but it's way too much cash for me...
    Stay away from Lowe's house brand -- BBQ grillware... three seasons it's rusted out, some of the replacement parts, like the burner covers started rusting within days after putting on the grill

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Lowe's has a combination gas-charcoal grill that I like a lot. Can also be used as a smoker for making proper barbecue (with the proper expensive attachment, of course).

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I don't know if I quite understand the infrared stuff? I am not sure what it is supposed to do.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Royal Oak charcoal grill with the added firebox is the way to go. You can grill or use it as a smoker.

Main grill is $300-ish. Firebox is like $75.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

It sears the meat allowing you to create a steak at home on par with the pricier steakhouses.

7. OTD

OTD Active Member

I've got a Weber Silver series. It's pretty sturdy and it makes great steaks.

No side burner on it

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Advice from my Dad:

Background — Not all "Stainless Steel" is stainless or prevents corrosion.

Action — Take a magnet. If the magnet sticks to the stainless parts, move on to the next option because you're getting duped.

Analysis — Dad's been right a lot more than he's been wrong.

Opinion — Jealousy. Wish I had the dough for a nice gas grill!

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Gas grills are for saps.
    Go charcoal. Get a Webber. A big one.
    It's a pain in the ass when you're learning, but once you get it down it makes a huge difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted