1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help Me Spend Some Dough on a BBQ

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I am going to have to replace my little 2 burner Kenmore grill soon and with most places putting their stock on clearance this time of year, I figured now was the time to buy.

I am looking to spend no more than about 4 hundred, hopefully quite a bit less and I am pretty sure I want something with 4 burners.

Anybody got something they love?

Thanks

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm in the same boat as you; and I've love to get a Char-Broil Infrared or Weber Genesis, but it's way too much cash for me...
    Stay away from Lowe's house brand -- BBQ grillware... three seasons it's rusted out, some of the replacement parts, like the burner covers started rusting within days after putting on the grill

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Lowe's has a combination gas-charcoal grill that I like a lot. Can also be used as a smoker for making proper barbecue (with the proper expensive attachment, of course).

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I don't know if I quite understand the infrared stuff? I am not sure what it is supposed to do.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Royal Oak charcoal grill with the added firebox is the way to go. You can grill or use it as a smoker.

Main grill is $300-ish. Firebox is like $75.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

It sears the meat allowing you to create a steak at home on par with the pricier steakhouses.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've got a Weber Silver series. It's pretty sturdy and it makes great steaks.

No side burner on it

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Advice from my Dad:

Background — Not all "Stainless Steel" is stainless or prevents corrosion.

Action — Take a magnet. If the magnet sticks to the stainless parts, move on to the next option because you're getting duped.

Analysis — Dad's been right a lot more than he's been wrong.

Opinion — Jealousy. Wish I had the dough for a nice gas grill!

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Gas grills are for saps.
    Go charcoal. Get a Webber. A big one.
    It's a pain in the ass when you're learning, but once you get it down it makes a huge difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted