1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me reconcile some feelings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Apr 12, 2012.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Buck, deep down I agree completely, and I eventually will get to that point. Heck, even two days later, I'm navigating toward this line of thinking. Yet at the time I was conflicted; I didn't want to ignore my feelings, and this thread is akin to talking things through. The day before, I had just seen my 5-year-old boy come into my home crying more loudly than I've hear in years. His pants were wet with urine and his eye swollen closed, purple and red from eyebrow to cheekbone. I was worried he had broken his orbital bone or something worse.

The mother not accompanying him seemed odd to me only because I know if her daughter -- who plays at our home often -- were to be injured in any manner while under my care, I would have not sent her home alone.

UPDATE: Yesterday evening, the swelling finally subsided enough for my son to begin seeing out of his injured eye without holding it open. Went to ophthalmologist, who said blood flow is not affected to the eyeball. It tracked well to light and movement. Also got a CT scan, and there is no structural damage to any muscles or bones. Also, doc worried about my son keeping the injured eye closed too often, so we're having to patch his good eye two hours per day. So far, so good.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Your son will be OK, it sounds like. Good for all involved...and he probably grew up a little bit, too...

I'm glad it all working out. As someone else said, it's part of life (although I, too, think the mom should have walked your son home).

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Glad he only has to wear the patch two hours a day. In order to try to correct my lazy eye, I had to wear a damn patch on my eye almost all the time (even to friggin school) when I was 6 or so. I HATED that thing. And not only because I couldn't friggin see out of my bad eye well enough to do anything. Maybe if I had worn the damn thing and done the exercises, my lazy eye would have been corrected, but what did I know? I was 6!

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, and I'm glad it worked out and that you are feeling better about the situation.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Want to thank everyone who took the time to address my concerns and offer their opinions. My son is well on the way to recovery after we found out no permanent damage was done.

Kids, as I am sure will find out multiple times before I die, are often stronger than us.

Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted