1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me reconcile some feelings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Apr 12, 2012.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Easy to say when you've come back from the dead. :D :D :D

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I get that accidents happen, boys will be boys, etc., but when they do, the parent who's in charge of supervision needs to own up to it and at least show some level of sympathy for the accident that happened.

That didn't happen in CI's case. So I understand his angst.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is this the first occasion where your child has gotten hurt over there or with this family? If yes, I would not look too deeply into this.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dear Tiger,

You and my son have something in common. While he's far behind you in the strange category, he has suffered a head injury inflicted by a golf club. Could you perhaps write him a letter and send along a momento? It would mean a lot to him. Maybe even the tooth Elin knocked out?

Sincerely,

CI

Folks, I think CI made it clear he knows it was an accident. No one intentionally banged his head. That's not open for debate. His issue is the post-incident non-action of the parents.

However, he has received some good advice here. Sew your kid up, let it go, don't let him go back to that house. If the other parents per chance ask why, tell him calmly.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Take the same shovel that IJAG got pummeled with, and do the same to that little bastard that hit your kid.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Someone else mentioned it earlier, but did the parents actually know the child was hurt? The kids might have rushed him home because they figured his mom might know best.

Plus, the golf-swinging kid was one of the kids bringing the hurt boy home. That says something about him willing to take the responsibility.

As for the mom of the golf kids, I would think the first thing going through her mind is, "Oh shit, we're going to get sued." That probably explains her cold reaction.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, the other mom might have run inside for a moment to arrange a rendezvous with Freq change a load of laundry.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would cut the mom some slack and at least talk to her for a minute before cutting your child off from a friend.

And I used to hit golf balls into a field behind my house when I was growing up all the time. We used to try and bounce them off of the barn roof.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He said that the mother gave his child ice for his eye, so yes, she knew he was hurt.

Great that the kid took responsibility. Maybe he can teach his mother a thing or two.

10. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I've got two kids, ages five and nine.
    Here's what I would do and it's quite a simple solution:

Don't let your boy go over there anymore.

If the parents come to you and ask why then you tell them truth. If they give you a hard time tell them to get lost.
    When he was little my nephew developed the habit of trying to hurt my daughter when no one was looking (I caught him trying to choke her once) and my sister-in-law and her husband refused to do anything about it.
    I told my mother in law that anyone who posed a risk to my daughter would not be allowed to see her again - no exceptions including my blood relatives - and my mother in law (who is a good grandmother and has common sense) made sure the message was received.
    Next time the kids were together and during following visits grandma made sure an adult was with them the whole time.
    Problem solved.
    The welfare of your children come first. Everyone else is a distance second

11. joe

joe Active Member

Trying to choke your daughter? That's not playing around, that's psychopath territory. Sounds like the kid should have been put down like a rabid dog.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend of ours had their son hurt while he was at another kid's house. When the mother brought him home she said, "It wasn't my fault." no fewer than 20 times.

I think people are more worried about being blamed than they are being sued. Nobody wants to feel responsible for a kid getting hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted