1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me pick an MLS team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If a slimming jersey is what you seek, can't go wrong with Chivas USA's classic vertical red and white stripes.

And they're easier to root for than they were two years ago, when they came in with a lot of bluster and not so much quality.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Isn't Chivas USA designated by the owners as the soccer team of Spanish-speaking SoCal residents?

If so, how do the L.A. papers cover them compared to the Galaxy?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i simply had to capture that post ... just in case.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As a Red Bull supporter I could make a case for this team. But, I won't. Despite some of the quality on the roster the team is downright cursed. They can't win for shit. And by that I am referring to championships. They are just heartbreaking.

If I had no teams with proximity, I would base it on places that I enjoy visiting or spending time. Or the uniforms, but those change so often that it doesn't matter.

I enjoy Boston as a city, so New England is a good team to support. They are also a quality side so that is a plus.

I enjoy Toronto, so they are up there as well.

I like Columbus' uniforms but when I visited the city I was pretty bored. So, they might not make it on the list.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

[​IMG]

Or gay firefighters. Which ever.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Was all that sarcastic? If so, well done, my friend, well done.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I normally don't pick teams by region, but this is who I root for. Though I really dislike their best player. Ruiz annoys me.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sadly, no, Pastor is a tortured fan.

9. after watching Saturday, go with the Red Bulls, or until Jozy leaves for Europe.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Oh, so you only want him to be a Red Bulls fan for the next 3-months?

11. this is the only time that matters in MLS...the playoff push

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'd recommend Chivas USA, especially as a foil to all of the bullshit about Beckham and the Galaxy.

As far as who Mexicanos/Chicanos in SoCal cheer for, I'd bet that fans of Club America do NOT support Chivas USA. Club America, a Mexico City team, and the Chivas, a Guadalajara team, are the two most popular teams in Mexico.

Club America are like the New York Yankees of Mexican soccer. Chivas are their main rivals, but the Guadalajara team has a respectable record of success, although not as much as Club America.

Chivas have cool unis and a practice of having only Mexicans on the roster...this is fitting since Guadalajara and the surrounding state of Jalisco have a reputation for being the "most Mexican" part of Mexico...since the area's home of both mariachi music and tequila, they have a pretty good claim.

Other popular Mexican teams: Pumas (the university-affiliated team in Mexico City), Cruz Azul (another Mexico City team) and Tigres (University of Nuevo Leon in Monterey). Some of those fans might cross over and cheer for Chivas USA in the MLS, but no way do Club America fans support the LA manifestation of Chivas.

Draft saved Draft deleted