1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me out - what does the "podunk town"-Vegas thing mean?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 21, 2018.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I always called it Farminatti

Tweener likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Buffalo suburb of Cheektowaga is often called Cheektavegas.

Springfield, Oregon, the neighbor city to Eugene, is often called Springtucky, for good reason. It's also the inspiration for Springfield on "The Simpsons."

As noted earlier on the thread, Spocompton has been a PNW nickname for decades.

[​IMG]

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I always figured Fayetteville, NC was the original Fayettenam, given the abundance of miltary and Asian hookers.

expendable and Vombatus like this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Easy... those might be their wives.

Hay ooooo

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Gooooood morning, Fayettenam!

6. Vombatus

Wait. I don’t know many military hookers. Asian, yeah.

Military folks are required to go through Human Trafficking Awareness Training, and depending on the base, are specifically told which parts of town to avoid.

Still, some people wind up in The Honch.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

About 15 years ago, my first job out of college was in Lumberton, NC. I was covering a game in Fayetteville so I figured I'd take advantage of getting to a bigger town with presumably more to do.

But I was also a rube, pretty much fresh off the farm, and couldn't believe all the street walkers and everything right out in broad daylight. I find a Mexican restaurant that somebody told me was good and the shopping center it was in had a strip club and three massage parlors. Seemed like a competitive market, because when I got out of my car there were lingerie-clad ladies sticking their heads out each door hollering at me to come into their establishment.

8. Vombatus

I’m going to see if I can quote some great posts of the past involving the Chocolate Wonderfall. First up, from way back in 2012:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    I Should Coco likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Next up among the Chocolate Wonderfall quotes is a @Bubbler classic. I said something similar several years later, knowing this cult classic was hanging out there somewhere, and promptly got yelled at. But here is Bubbler, also from 2012:

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Gotta say, when I saw the "Vombatus has quoted your post" notification... I wasn't expecting this.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Vombatus

LMAO. Seriously, I just choked on my beer a bit.

But I kept it down. I don’t believe in alcohol abuse.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Just south of Fredvegas is Spotsyl-tucky.

Vombatus and Cosmo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted