1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me out, re: simulator computer games for baseball, football pro wrestling

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Mar 3, 2013.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I used to be a big fan of table-top baseball games, namely Statis Pro (I thought Strat sucked). I also liked MicroSoft Football back in the day.

Anyway, I am looking for computer (IBM) simulator games for baseball, football and pro wrestling.

The most important aspect that I am looking for is the ability to create my own players (basically, using all-time rosters or the ability to create my favorite pro wrestling legends).

I'm not interested in games like Madden, that are player controlled, but games where I am the coach and the computer plays the game based on my plays. For wrestling, I'd like to make the cards, then watch the action unfold, without having to play 1-on-1 or play the computer.

I've done quite a bit of research on the web, but haven't come across anything that shouts out at me.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Baseball mogul and out of the park baseball are two to look into. I enjoy baseball mogul, haven't tried OotP.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

We had a short thread on OoTP Baseball last year:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3321666/

It's really very good.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The makers of Baseball Mogul also make Football Mogul.

I played BM for a number of years, but tried OOTP last year. They're both really good, but I think I prefer OOTP slightly better.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Had the last 3 seasons of BM. But b/c of this board, I'm probably going to try OotP for this coming season.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For wrestling, it's an old game, but Wrestlemania 2000 for the Nintendo 64 was awesome. Maybe one of the best wrestling games ever.
    It had a simple control scheme (the old THQ scheme they had perfected after four or five WCW and WWE games), a tremendous selection of Attitude Era wrestlers in their primes, and a great season mode where you had to wrestle through matches on Sunday Night Heat, Raw, and the various PPVs (can't remember if Smackdown was rolling at that point or not). Best of all, it had a deep create-a-wrestler feature. Lots of looks, tons of moves. I remember spending about an hour building one of my characters.
    I'm not sure how it stacks up with some of the newer WWE games, but that one was a blast. I tried picking up Smackdown vs. Raw 2006 for either PS2 or XBox and couldn't even figure out how to throw a punch.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

The complexity of the statistical modeling in OOTP is so superior to Baseball Mogul. Baseball Mogul is really easy to master, OOTP takes a lot more skill and offers exponentially more choices, statistics and possible avenues of failure which, frankly, is what you look for in any game, since most of them are way too easy.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

RBI Baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted