1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HELP ME OUT GUYS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by anonymousbob, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Mira

Mira Member

When I have my quarterly moan about salary my husband reminds me, "Your industry doesn't make any money."

You have to love the job.

I did some magazine work and if you can accumulate regular gigs and toss good ideas to editors on a consistent basis, it can be lucrative. That's a good idea to comb the shelves at Barnes & Noble and check out the 'zines.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cunning and verve will only get you so far. You need desperation and insolence as well.

Seriously, sure, there are plenty of good jobs that pay well. You don't give much background. If you are in a bigger city, you can supplement by freelancing. Bigger papers generally have a harder time hiring editors and (shudder!) designers than writers.

Lots of papers are hiring folks to work on their websites.

So, sure the money is out there. Go get you some. They ain't gonna come tap you on the shoulder.

3. Wow. A couple harmless smartass responses get blasted.
    Did I log onto the wrong site?

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No doubt, wis. There's been a lot worse stuff to get upset about on the board than something like this.

And your first point, earlier in the thread, is completely valid.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you like to write and you love deadlines, think about wire and news service work.
    AP, of course, is the biggest, but you have others out there and the pay, if it is a union shop, is pretty good.

You should also get a handle on where you want to live and what you are willing to do to get there. You also have to decide if a career is a better choice than a personal life.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It was an amazing song, but sounded not a damn thing like anything else on the CD, which was otherwise entirely crap-ass, generic alternative.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Journalism's great. Still. Well, if your naturally curious about things, that is.

The newspaper industry sucks. You know that T-shirt that reads, "the beatings will continue until morale improves?" It's not ironic in a print newsroom.

TV, OTOH, offers everything print does PLUS no constant worries about whether or not you'll be charged for the paperclips you use.

Find your way into broadcast.

Draft saved Draft deleted