1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me, I'm turning Southern

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jul 9, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

One of the things I love about the Southern culture is that it's so verbal. Many of the whites are of Scots-Irish stock, then of course you have the African-American contribution to English. I don't function well in taciturn cultures. The German-Americans up in the Plains states freaked me out...and as much as I respected the Native American culture in New Mexico, I could never get used to how silent their ways were. I'm most comfortable surrounded by a constant stream of melodic Southern verbiage, whether it's about something or about nothing.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Gotcha.
    Of course any real Southern debate needs to take into account you BBQ preference.
    Beef or Pork?
    Dry rub or sauce?
    Then what kind of sauce?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If you're going to label me defensive, there's no telling what you think of those much more on edge than I. I'm about as far from a stereotypical guy as any you will find that grew up in the South - and there's plenty which doesn't thrill me, either - but to come and launch the crap you did set yourself up to get peppered.

Your abilities to fling generalities and blanket statement is mind-spinning. You fling stereotypes out left, right and center, then get pissed off when called out on it? Pot, meet kettle.

4. Pork. Pulled, though I prefer ribs.

I usually just order the House's sauce as long as it doesn't have vinegar in it.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What if you prefer dry-rub chicken?

6. Three emoticons is hardly getting peppered - hardly adding anything to the conversation, either.

Either way, I wasn't labeling you. Your post just reminded me of the over-sensitivity I often see around here. I got called a yankee and other things every day my first year down here. I didn't go postal.

7. No preference. Just like it blackened.

8. Keep in mind Sam that I'm also raising a Southern girl. She's growing up on sweet tea and y'all. If I had a major problem with it, I'd move. I'm just picking at some of the idiosyncracies, just like anyone else on here who's moved to a location they're not originally from.

Chill out.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Pork is nasty. Beef, dry rub. If you want sauce, it depends on what sort of meal you're cooking. Lots of tomato, hickory and cayenne makes for a nice Southern kind of sauce. Mesquite and jalapeno for a Texan flavor. Love the black pepper and garlic in a KC-style sauce. Here's where I don't budge, though: pinto beans. Not those little round beans.

10. I take pinto beans over black beans any day.

There's also nothing like a pig roast. Beef can't touch it.

My other favorite Southern tradition are oyster roasts. Wonderful.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, you're missing out. Come visit and I'll take you to a place that serves the tenderist, juiciest BBQ chicken coated with a dry rub on the skin. If you blackened it, you'd take the moisture out of it.

But I also like Cajun-blackened chicken.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

That's funny, because I feel like I'm a southerner trapped in New England. Even worse . . . Massachusetts.

Draft saved Draft deleted