1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me. I need to keep neighbor off my lawn.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rico_the_redneck, Aug 8, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That was Obama me

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I know a family one town over from us that has been pranking one of the neighbor families for a generation.
    The pranked still have no idea who the pranktsters are. The pranksters always leave a card or some other token with a red star on it at the scene of the prank.
    It is actually dying out now, but whenever I think about it or hear the story, it cracks me up.

3. Beer probably not an option at this point. I was nice enough to tell him where I got my Obama for President yard sign last year ... thought we were cool. Last fall I was gracious enough to knock on his door and talk to him about the lawn situation (as opposed to him calling AC on us because my dog escaped after one of the kids left the gate open). I pointed out where the stakes are marking the property line, he claimed ignorance. He is definitely very ignorant. Someone else said it, he's cutting his lawn lower than mine and it looks like shit. I'm not quite Hank Hill, but I take pride in my lawn.

Someone said I had called the police ... I just called to find out my options ... which are to hire a surveyor to mark the property lines, take pictures of the guy crossing them and then take the guy to small claims court and get a judgement against him that can then be enforced. I'm leaning toward hedges (my bro suggested boxwoods) about 2-feet apart along the property line.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Boxwood? Pfft. Gotta be English Privet.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hide a rock or two in the grass on your side of the property. When he moves it, ask him why he moved your rocks.

Or, wait until he runs the rocks over with his mower. Hilarity ensues.

6. Surveyor are expensive. It would cost you at least a couple hundred bucks. At least. And in the long run, the court proceedings will be long drawn out and accomplish very little.
    Shrubs, bushes or a nice picket fence would be the way to go. Picket fencing or the treated rough wood fencing is nice, but a little pricey. Lowe's and Home Depot have nice vinly white picket fencing that looks great.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He can't have a fence in the front. Said early that fence in the front wasn't an option

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Pound metal stakes into the lawn in the area of your's that he mows. Leave them sticking up about five inches above the surface. He won't make the same mistake again.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe some picture wire wrapped around the stakes for good measure.

10. Three suggestions:

1) Go with the shrubbery option to keep his mower off your grass.

2) Install invisible fencing to keep your dog in your yard. You can't blame your neighbor for getting pissed off about your dog getting out. Well, actually you can, but if your dog is that clever, you need to come up with a better plan.

3) Invite the neighbor for a beer, tell him you've taken steps to keep the dog in your yard. Don't mention the shrubs. Let him figure that on his own. If he asks, tell him you just like the looks of them.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

land mines.
    problem with shrubs is that somebody has to trim them, and that somebody would be you.

12. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Dig a small trench along the property line. Keep it filled with water. Get a long extension cord and snip off the end you plug things into. Strip the encasing so the bare wire is exposed. Place exposed wire in the water-filled trench. Next time neighbor is mowing wait till he hits the trench and plug the other end of the extension cord into an electrical outlet. Hijinks!

Draft saved Draft deleted