1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me. I need to keep neighbor off my lawn.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rico_the_redneck, Aug 8, 2009.

1. We're generally peace-loving people. My neighbor ... not so much.

We have a few dogs, a fenced in back yard for them to do their business in and the rest of the time they're inside. One dog (the retard of the bunch) occasionally digs under the fence and runs loose. We promptly block the hole the f'er dug and all is well for a while. Once in a blue moon, the gate gets left open by one of our kids and the 'tard dog will skip the digging part and make a run for it.

Yesterday, I came home and the dog was waiting on me at the front door. Neighbor is in his garage ... doesn't say anything. A few hours later Animal Control visits. AC is understanding ... wife explains we don't open the door and tell the dog to run wild, he just digs out occasionally. Wife asks AC, "Can you tell me who called you?" AC lady says, "You can file an open records request or you can just watch which house I visit next since I have to leave the complainer a card saying I visited." AC said she almost didn't stop because it seemed frivolous ... it was a schnauzer, not a pit bull ... so I guess that's why she was sympathetic.

Wife watches. AC stops next door. This is the same guy who every time he mows his front lawn (no fences allowed) mows about five feet into my yard, which annoys the hell out of me. I've spoken to the guy about trespassing (didn't put in those terms) and he claimed ignorance. I know where the property line is ... we bought the house new ... this guy is the second owner. The other day, we were replacing some pickets on the fence and he came out wondering why were in his yard (got to nail the pickets from the outside of the fence, asshole!)

I was just bitching the other day because I came home and this f'er had mowed part of my lawn again. We have some crape myrtles a few feet inside the line, but this guy mows right up against them. Thought about planting something (not sure what) about every three-four feet along the line between our yards so he can't get his mower in. Not sure what else. Any ideas? I called the cops, but I'd have to go to small-claims court, prove he was trespassing and get a judgement before they could do anything. So the landscaping thing seems like easiest option ... given that this guy isn't approachable.

And yes, I was already considering the front-yard options ... this thing with AC just sort of pushed me over the edge.

2. Accidentally posted this on wrong board. Can a Moddy move to Anything Goes?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Where's Zeke when you need him?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A post was removed from this thread because it was a clear shot at another poster apropos of nothing involved with this thread. The post served no purpose except to antagonize the other poster and, as a result, cause problems for us and others.
    If you have nothing more to contribute to the board than that, please find another way to spend the afternoon.
    Thanks.
    Rico posed a legitimate question. Either help him find an answer or don't. But don't post that bullshit anymore. It is way past being funny.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Outing alert! Rico is the dude from HUNG who has the neighbor from hell!

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you say fences aren't allowed in front but what about a small hedge or flower garden right at property line?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A nice subtle brick landscape border would work... You could upper deck him, but this would be more subtle.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Why does it annoy you that he mows five feet into your yard? That's five feet you don't have to mow.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

well if the neighbor is mowing too short or too long. and having 5 feet of mowed lawn in my yard that wasn't mowed at the same time would make the yard look "off." many people take great pride in their lawn and don't want some dumbass neighbor messing it up.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Our neighbor has a different kind of grass than ours and needs to be kept at a different length. Her ftard son will cut on occasion and scalp our yard. Not often, but annoying when it happens.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why don't you sit down and have a beer with him?

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The first thing to do is try to talk with him, explain about the dog and ask that he does not mow into your property again.

If he claims he doesn't know the property line then take him to show him right then. You didn't say if you have a homeowner's group, covenants or a board that could assist if things progress down a bad path.

If he doesn't want to talk or is uncooperative, execute Plan B.

Take care of your fence and try to keep the dog from getting out. Dogs dig out of curiosity or boredom. A shock collar or one of the invisible buried fence borders could work.

Then landscape the area where he's mowing and use bricks, wooden bed borders, crossties or something to clearly indicate your property line. Keep it about 8-10 inches off the exact line so you can trim the weeds. Build it up and plant something like day lilies or mondo (monkey grass) inside the border.

If he doesn't like it, fuck him. Take care of your yard and your dogs.

Draft saved Draft deleted