1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me fix a kid's bike

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

freakin' spacely.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Is Cogsley hiring?

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Top notch.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

He can turn a phrase, every now and then.

Good one.

5. KoM

KoM Member

is the chain real cruddy and filthy? if so, there is a possibility there is a stiff link in the chain that's causing it to skip.

I'm guessing you don't have a chain cleaner... so, get and old rag and some hot, soapy dish water, just hold the rag in the palm of your hand, grab the chain and give the pedals a few turns until you clean the whole thing. dish soap works OK, but if you have Simple Green or another degreaser that's better.

Then take an old tooth brush and some WD40 (or any solvent) and give it a quick scrub. after that take the WD40 and spray the chain again, letting the solvent force any remaining water from between the links. wipe down with clean rag.

Finally, re-lube the chain with light oil, DON'T USE MOTOR OIL, by turning the pedals and putting just a drop or two between each link on the rollers. Don't slather it up.

I know that sounds detailed, but it probably took longer to type this than it really takes.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I think you've got the right idea -- it's a kid's bike; she's going to grow out of it very soon anyway. Instead of paying to have it fixed just get a replacement, the next size up.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If the crank (front) sprocket and the rear sprocket aren't aligned, the chain will come off.

Make sure that the rear wheel is straight with the front crank. If the rear sprocket is bent off-axis, you might have to replace the sprocket, the rear hub or spindle.

Maybe if she just yells, "Swiper! No swiping! Swiper! No swiping!" while she rides?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If you need one, these are the best...

[​IMG]

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This should not go uncommented upon. Very nice touch, less obvious than the Jetsons jokes.

I would suspect a bent sprocket. But I generally let the bike shop figure it out.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Damn it. He needs a sprocket.

Not one of Cogswell's cogs.

And why the hell did such advanced gizmos run on 20th-century things like sprockets and cogs, anyway?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1) Take off the training wheels — but only the wheels, not the struts — so you have a firm base. You don't want the bike slipping.
    2) Immobilize the front wheel so the bike doesn't roll away.
    3) Set up a fan and attach some streamers. Turn it on.
    4) Convince your daughter that peddling in the house can be just as fun as riding around the block.
    5) Crack open a beer and cheer her on.
    6) Collect your father of the year award.

12. jps

jps Active Member

time to buy a new bike.

(Got my kiddo a disney princess complete with a little drink holder deal on the front for about the same as the dora bike and haven't had any problems since Christmas.)

Draft saved Draft deleted