1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HELP ME EAT IN CHICAGO!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Ranalli's on Lincoln for Italian. Bacino's, also on Lincoln near DePaul, for pizza.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Rock Bottom Brewery. It's around the corner from Hard Rock.

I'll second Dick's Last Resort. Haven't been to the one in Chicago, but have been to others.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I lived in Chicago for 5 years. The one thing I never understood is how Chicago has such great Mexican food, but in New York you can find good food from any nationality/ethnicity EXCEPT Mexico. Such a big Mexican population in Chicago, which never made sense to me, because Chicago is nowhere near Mexico. If you were going to go somewhere in the U.S. from Mexico, NYC seems just as logical. I know jgmacg and I discussed this when he was still on here.

I haven't been there in 13 or 14 years probably, but there was this place on Western Ave. -- 4500 block or 4700 block -- called Garcia's. I had a friend who was from Chicago who introduced me to it. We'd go there really late at night, and we'd be the only non-Mexican Americans in the place. The owner used to greet my friend like he was royalty, and he'd treat us well. I remember a few times going in there really late at night and we were getting stared down until the owner greeted us and subtly gave us the "OK." I just googled it and it looks like it is still there and it actually has reviews that say it is well known now. I'm sure that neighborhood has changed a lot, because everything west has changed, so I am wondering if that place is still the same as it was. My friends thought it was amazing Mexican food--except for the one time I was the only one of six or seven people who didn't get violently ill (not coincidentally, I was the only one who doesn't eat meat).

Anyone more familiar with Chicago nowadays know that place and if so, what do you think of it?

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Weiner's Circle.
    Go drunk and get cursed at by the very helpful staff.
    You'll love it. But make it a post-meal, drunken, early AM excursion.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's Superdawg, and it sucks.

7. accguy

accguy Member

I'm guessing the pizza place Bubbler was talking about in Evanston is Carmen's. That place is really, really good.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree 100 percent. There's a fondue place near De Paul that is incredible as well. I can't remember the name.

For late night, it's hard to beat Superdawg.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There are literally hundreds of places better than Superdawg to get a hot dog and fries. Just because the place is on TV doesn't mean it's any good. Hell, there are probably 20 hot dog joints within 5 miles of Superdawg just on Milwaukee Avenue where you'll get better food.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hugo's and Gibson's are corporate siblings. They are right next to each other and share a kitchen. So the Hugo's burger is the Gibson's burger. And yes, it's really good.

11. highlander

highlander Member

Dearborn Street Station - that's where Henry Blake first went to restroom alone. Mr. Resnick works there. "Good Bless" your choo choo's.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

A shitty chain with shitty food.

Draft saved Draft deleted