1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help Me! Earwigs!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I may be 6'7" and 320 pounds, but I FUCKING HATE bugs and spiders.

For the past 14 days or so, earwigs have been showing up around the apartment. I'm finding about one a day.

Now, before you accuse me of living in filth and allowing all the necessary ingredients for breeding: No way. My wife is a neat freak, bordering on obsession. The garbage is emptied and taken out daily. The recycles are kept on the balcony. There's ZERO open food around. It's spotless in here, seriously.

So a) where are they coming from? b) how do I get rid of them?

My wife ran into the neighbor the other day and he said he has them too. He's complained to the super and she said "I think they're coming in the bathroom and there's nothing we can do."

I sprayed the Raid that "lasts two weeks" along every window sill, along every baseboard, under the sink, behind the stove, fridge and the hutch our microwave is on. I then double backed and dropped down some powder that's supposed to work. I did that Saturday night. It's Wednesday and I found one just now and two yesterday.

I've found them in the kitchen and bathroom.

What the fuck is going on? And, why is there "nothing" my super/landlords do?

2. Are those the ones that supposedly crawl in your mouth at night while you're asleep? :)

3. Pete Incaviglia

Yes. I hate you.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Diatomaceous earth is supposed to work.

http://tinyurl.com/5tmuvl

You might be able to find it in a local store, too.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

Nah, they crawl into your ear canal, burrow from there into the brain and lay their eggs there.

Old wives' tale. Absolutely untrue.

Pete hopes.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Relax, Pete. They're harmless

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2068.html

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

They do bite, though. One bit me on my deck the other night. Poor fucker was burnt to death with my lighter soon after.

Anyway, Pete, I don't know what to tell you. They seem to come in waves at my place. We'll go a week or two without any and then suddenly they will start popping up in our sink and in our bathtub.

They are gross.

Also, earwigs in my bathroom growing up and that old wive's tale is why I sleep with my head under the covers at night. Seriously.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They hide in your laundry baskets. Neat.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Dude. Me too.

I remember in high school, we used to go to my buddy's place on the lake in the summer. And we'd hang our swimsuits, wet shirts, towels, etc. over the deck railing. And the next day there were earwigs in them. So disgusting. I won't sleep tonight.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

They apparently are attracted to moisture.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Let's hope you never have to cover this school's athletics teams ...

http://www.dunnschool.org/welcome/

12. Pete Incaviglia

Yeah, that's what I don't get. My apartment is dry. Very dry. And we didn't add a humidifier when we had the baby, like most people.

I mean, our sink leaked for about three days about three months ago. And, it obviously has in the past, because you can see the damage in the wood under the sink. So maybe they're there.

I don't know.

It did rain yesterday. And I found one near the window sill.

Draft saved Draft deleted