1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

help me, computer geeks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by proudpittsburgher, Feb 5, 2008.

1. I need a little computer help. I may be fortunate enough to land a fairly big freelance gig where I will manage the production of a 200-page magazine. I will need to upgrade my current laptop for the job and was looking for advice on a new machine. So far, I've been told to look at something with 3 gigs of RAM and at least 2.0MgH on the processor speed. I know, from my experience working with my current laptop that it runs a bit slow when I am doing some projects and going back and forth from one program to the next (Photoshop, Quark, Internet, etc) and I need a machine that will run smoothly and fairly quick. I am looking to spend upwards of a grand on it. I currently have an HP laptop and have been very happry with it, until lately with the speed issues. Any suggestions on Brand, processor speeds, memory would be of great help to me. Thanks, in advance.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Photoshop and Quark on a laptop, I'd lean toward going with a Mac. As for specs, I can't help you much. I haven't really checked the market lately as I am very poor and can't even consider looking for a new computer right now.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mac makes a computer that would fit your needs to a T. you'll have to spend $2,500, though.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

the more RAM, the better...go no less than 8GB.
    But Tom nailed it. Mac will suit you.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just to piggyback ... from my experience, you do not want to run quark with a pc.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Quark on a PC or anything older than Mac OS X = fail.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Would've fought these sentiments at one time, but they're right. Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator are meant to be run on a Mac.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Finally working at a paper that has a relatively recent version of Quark. Amen, Jesus.

9. Bump:

I'm getting a new desktop computer. My old was seven, eight years old and was wiped out by a virus.
    Does anyone know how I can wipe the hard drivemyself, before I recycle it?

Thanks.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

"We're on the case."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

We don't know who those guys are, but we think they work for the government. Don't trust them.

Draft saved Draft deleted