1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me choose a family camping tent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Spoken like a true point guard ;-)

Trust me, my friend...when you're 6'9", head clearance is never, EVER overrated...in any situation.

You can only bang your head so many times on door frames, ceiling fans, airplane drop-down TVs, etc...

I'll definitely look into the Eureka line. I've read some good things about them.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

well, also, consider that a lot of tents are measured by the height at the pinnacle, which is only dead center... and that the ceiling slopes down and away from the center point.

Now, the tent that was pictured earlier in this thread looks kinda boxy so maybe tent design has evolved in the past few years to take that into account. Like, they heard all the 6-9 guys bitching and decided to give them some more head room.

the best way is to actually GO to a bigtime camping place... size them all up. stand in them... and then order online cheaper.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The closest thing to tent my wife will sleep in is a Super 8. So, I stopped 'camping' almost 15 years ago.

But REI has good stuff. You may also want to look into some of the multi-room tents that seem to be in vogue these days.

4. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

I've been disappointed at how few places actually have the big tents set up. Most of them have the cute little models of the tents set up, but they don't do me any good.

I visited REI, Cabelas, Dicks, and Sports Authority today, and none of them had the bigger tents set up. Only one or two man tents.

Very disappointing...

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think if I were in the market for a big tent, that Cabela's model would do nicely.

Draft saved Draft deleted