1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me buy a computer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by digger, Aug 8, 2006.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Agreed about the MacBooks, and basically the only feature I've found in the MacBook Pro or the PowerBook before that was really worthwhile was the bigger screen size. Otherwise, you get a lot of computer for value with the base model - really enough to do anything most people would ever be doing.

If you're on a budget and are looking for a desktop model, I'd suggest looking into the MacMini. It's got all the power of a regular Mac, but it is priced fairly reasonable.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Do the Mac Books come with a DVD burner or is that an add-on?

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The MacBook with the 2.0GHz processor comes with a SuperDrive, which is a DVD/CD burner.

If you order the computer through Apple you have all sorts of customization options. They build to order.

Also, Apple refurbished products are worth looking at. They usually have some pretty nice stuff at good prices. Right now they have white MacBooks with the 2.0GHz processor for $200 off.

To answer an earlier question, Apple usually does have some sort of credit program.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I will just point out that you should shy away from Apple's refurbished computers right now. I mean this very sincerely.

This statement does not come from the idea that the hardware is bad or poorly repaired. This comes from the fact that Apple has switched over the Intel based CPU. This means that many software manufacturers will cease producing software for the Motorola chip that was in there before.

This means you will have one, maybe two, good years of software support. When you are looking to spend the money that Apple demands for its hardware and O/S, it just isn't practical.

If you want a Mac, go new or don't bother.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If you go Dell, try a laptop with a docking station for home base which allows you to use a monitor, keyboard, etc just like a desktop PC, but you can take the laptop anywhere. Its a little pricey but awesome because you have two separate computer setups for one PC.

6. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

even if Arab terrorists put a gun to your head and demand it, do not buy a dell. complete crap and impossible to deal with the company.

do. not. buy. a. dell.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Toshiba laptops are pretty good, from my experience.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I heard a lot of people on here talking about Dells.

9. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

Didn't read through the whole post, just the first few, so I'd offer two things.

On the Mac/PC front: Apple is starting to cheap out a little bit (the new MacBooks that have integrated graphics, etc.) and I absolutely refuse to buy a computer from a company charging $200 extra for the flippin' color black. I sold computers for a few years at a Best Buy and I can tell you that most PC problems are self-inflicted. In other words, Macs are probably more idiot proof, so if you think you're completely computer illiterate, save yourself the headaches down the road and just get a Mac. Probably less you can mess up personally.

On a general recommendation front: My first desktop I ever had was a tank of an HP. It lasted me for like six or seven years. Basically until the components were so obsolete it was impossible to ignore. Had a good experience there. My first notebook (the computer after that) was a Toshiba. Hard drive died early on, but after that it was about 4 years of smooth sailing. I'm having some cooling and battery life issues now. (Although, the battery stuff is more than expected after 4 years.)

I picked up a ThinkPad z61t (Core Duo 1.66 ghz, 1 GB ram, 60 GB HD, DVDRW, 14.1-inch screen, 4.9 lbs) and it'll be arriving within the month. If you decide to stray away from the Mac route, do some hunting on sites like slickdeals.net for Dell coupons. If you hit them up at the right time, you can get a great laptop on the cheap. I don't recommend picking up the $399 units you see in most ads unless you're planning on replacing it within three years. Unless you do the most low tech of processes, it will be obsolete pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That's good advice -- except they are selling refurbished Intel-based machines. The PowerPC ones might be tempting, but you're buying the old technology, which doesn't make sense.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

MacDaddy, I hadn't really looked over Apple's refurb list. I merely presumed that since the Intel based systems were so new, they wouldn't really have much there to purchase.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It's pretty amazing how up-to-date the refurb merchandise is. They do still have some older stuff on there, but they usually have new stuff too. Pretty much all the Apple stuff I've bought the past few years has been refurbished.

Draft saved Draft deleted