1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me buy a computer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by digger, Aug 8, 2006.

1. digger

digger New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm about to purchase my first computer (yea I know, welcome to the 21st century). Can you guys help me out with some tips on what I should get? My main issues would be to be able to download music onto cds or some other device, watch video like youtube.com, and copy my cds that I already own, and maybe online poker. Do I need to spend over $1,000? or can I get something usable for around $500.

Part 2: I also need a laptop/notebook. Can one of those take care of both needs (I'd need the laptop for writing/sending stories away from the paper. I could set it up at my house when I'm not using it to file stories from on the road. But would one of those be able to do the things I need above?

Thanks for your help!

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The Altair has 5K of memory now and comes very cheap.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Get a MAC. Seriously. PCs suck, and I have a PC. Dumb decision.

You'll spend a little more than a grand, I think, but it's worth it.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I agree. I wish I had listened to the smart one's and had a Mac instead of this PC. Three weeks after I bought it, it crashed (my taxes were all still on it because I had only finished them the night before).

5. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

I've had a PC for about three years and couldn't be happier. Make sure whatever you get has wireless capability. Entire cities will be wireless in a few years. Trust me, there's nothing better than sitting your computer on a coffee table with no cords attached whatsoever. Any decent laptop should be able to provide what you're looking for. One thing you may want to consoder is a same as cash plan. I paid my computer off over the course of 12 months with no interest. Meanwhile, I got to use it the whole time. I know Circuit City has that program and I imagine Best Buy may have one as well. For what it's worth I got an HP and have been very happy with it. It's pretty user friendly.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Doesn't matter what kind. Get as much hard drive memory as you can, 1 gig at least. Buy something you can add features to, such as sound cards and video cards. And go for DSL or cable; dial-up sucks.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Regardless of whether you choose a PC or a Mac, your primary concerns should be processor speed and RAM. Whether it is a desktop or a laptop, you will have limited slots for RAM and this means updating costs more.

You can always purchase a newer and bigger hard drive that can sit outside your computer if you want. If it doesn't come with wireless built in, you can always add it on via a PCMCIA, USB or PCI card.

None of your listed requirements should force you into purchasing a high end video card. So, you shouldn't worry about such things. If you would later like to upgrade, a new video card can be installed on a desktop. (The laptop has its monitor built-in, so a new card would not make much sense.)

To answer the issue on cost, the desktop can be purchased for under $500 as long as you are willing to accept a CRT monitor instead of a flat panel. The laptop will definitely cost more.

8. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Wow, a whole gig on a hard drive? Is that possible?

I vote for Mac Book. How about this one at www.smalldog.com
    MacBook 13in 1.83GHz 512/60/combo/AP/BT white . . . . . n 23 1,099.00
    Add 512K RAM: $100

You're in business.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I've got a MacBook, bought it for a little over $1,000 about a month ago, and I've been very pleased so far. I'd used PCs in the past, and never had any real problems.

Just remember, you usually get what you pay for.

10. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Get the Macbook, save $50 with the Mac educational discount. It's done on the honor system.
    With the Macbook it's really easy to connect to wireless networks and switch to different ones in different places.
    Also, you can get a free iPod nano if you buy a Macbook on Apple's site (again using the educational discount). I'm wielding mine right now.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Paging Rosie .... :D

12. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Absolutely get a Mac.

I have a Powerbook G4 (pre Intel chip) and it kicks ass.

Very user friendly, everything works on it, and it allows you to become a computer elitist overnight.

They cost a bit more, but after a year, I've had no problems with mine and love it ... which, to a former PC guy, makes it worth it. My PC (a Sony VAIO) seemed to have a different issue every week, and I never knew if it was compatible with stuff on Web sites, downloading, etc. To this day, there is nothing I can't do on the Internet or with other stuff (digital cams, external hard drives, bluetooth mouse, speaker system, etc.).

Seriously... A Mac ... do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted