1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help me again -- Why Is Pro Day A Thing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Well, depends what newspaper....

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Okay, here's what happened yesterday..

1) The local shop sends BOTH a writer AND a columnist. My women's team made the NCAA tournament and they didn't come to one game during the season, but here they are at spring practice and *&^$ Pro Day.
    2) I did what every SID would do -- pitch a golf feature and other assorted non-football.
    3) Meanwhile, over at the track meet, my national runner-up in the women's indoor high jump makes her outdoor debut by winning the meet on her first jump that was the ninth-best jump in the nation.
    4) I wrote the &*^$% out of Pro Day: Hope you enjoy it: Miller Makes The Most Of Pro Day - Bethune-Cookman University Athletics

3. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Not all sports are created equally. Some simply create more fan/reader interest than others.

BC football averaged 6,078 fans per game. BC women's basketball totaled 6,203 fans for the entire season. Which one do you think more readers would care about?

4. daytonadan1983

I know, I know, I know .... and I already got my ass kicked once about this here on this wonderful gathering.

Let's go read Batman's Vin Scully post again and get a laugh.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It also depends on your market.

In this corner of the world, Daniel Jones had a Pro Day ... the Duke quarterback is projected to go pretty high in the draft.

Do you think for a moment that it got more coverage or had people clamoring for that over Duke and Chapel Hill men's basketball?

MNgremlin likes this.
  6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

What games that really matter in the grand scheme of the season are going on at the same time as pro days? All I can think of is college basketball.

7. daytonadan1983

May God have mercy on what's left of my soul for saying this...but all games matter if they count in the standings.

JRoyal likes this.
  8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Tell that to Shaq and the Lakers back when they were winning titles and didn't give a crap about anything before April.

9. daytonadan1983

Remember, I'm an SID these days. My perspective is a lot different ... even though I pray for rain outs during mid-week non-conference games ...

HanSenSE and JRoyal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted