1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help - Iphone issues, need recorder-type app STAT!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Freuchen Icepick, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Hi community, I haven't had good luck with my iphones and am on No. 2 with a buggy speaker... I'm appealing to you all in hopes of learning what the best phone-recording app for iphones for journalism purposes might be? I need to figure something out quickly as I can't just jump to speaker phone and record that way.

I don't care too much about the particulars, sound quality, etc. Just need something that's reliable and hopefully not to obtrusive in terms of switching on.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I use HT Recorder

3. thanks gomer, checking that one out on the app store... i need something that records phone calls *while being on the phone. does this work for that? doesn't really specify about that in the app description.

4. Dragon dictation.
    It's a free app

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I've been using Recorder Free for interviews, but would also be interested in learning about apps that would record actual phone calls in progress. Not sure if RF does or not because I haven't tried.

As for the wonky speaker/dialing out issue, the last OS upgrade fixed that for me.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

this doesn't entirely solve the iphone problem, but with my olympus recorder came a little microphone that plugged into the recorder. At the other end was a microphone/earbud that you put in your ear. Hit record on the recorder and start talking on the phone. Works great. It's two devices, but it works.

7. thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. to be precise, i'm looking for an iphone app that records phone conversations while i'm on the same phone. i have a radio shack-brand doodad that does it externally, but it's a bit of junkshow, wires everywhere and challenging audio quality on my end.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

There's no such thing as an iPhone app that records your cellphone's call. You have to use speakerphone and a separate recorder for that.

There's one app that claims to do it, but you pay for every second of every call that they record remotely, then send to you. It's fishy at best.

10. good to know gomer! that's what i've found too. i did sign up for google voice, which bills itself as having "in phone recording" capabilities, yet that functionality is missing on the app. ugg. phones with sweet bells and whistles are great, but really what i need is a phone that works well... as a phone.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115082

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Like Gomer said, the only ones I've found that can record while you're on the phone are ones that charge you an asinine fee to use it. It's ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted