1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help, I'm stuck in the Wilds of Wisconsin...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

.....and I feel like I’m back in the Dark Ages.

I just purchased a screamin’ new HP laptop, complete with 2GB RAM. With my high speed internet at home, cruisin’ the web is now a very quick and happy diversion.

Now, fast forward to tonight. Same computer, dial-up connection. It’s been so long since I’ve used dial-up, I feel as if I left the present day for somewhere 300 years in the past. Just to download email may take half the weekend.

It could be that being stuck somewhere in the back woods of Wisconsin may have something to do with that as well. Just because I have to be a bridesmaid (bridesmatron? Brides-I’m-really-too-old-to-wear-an-ugly-dress-and-make-a-fool-of-myself-later-at-the-reception-person?) in my brother’s wedding.

Good grief, I have high speed internet in the Wilds of Minnesota! You’d think Wisconsin would catch on! (And the first one to post the Audio Clip Which Shall Not Be Named is grounded for the rest of the summer!)

And because of the wedding, stuff, I can’t even sneak away to get a copy of the new Harry Potter book.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Now that's just evil. Dial-up is one thing, bridesmaids dress is another, but to deprive you of Harry Potter is cruel and unusual punishment.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

It's madness I tell you.

Sheer madness.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'd say screw you, I'm getting the fuggin book. But you seem to be a good sibling.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was going to post the link to the Vikings blowing a playoff spot, but instead I found this which is much better:

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Where in Wisconsin qualifies as the wilds?
    Oh, and if we're doing youtube, the best thing Minnesota ever did for me:

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I am finishing up a week in the northwoods of Wisconsin doing a little volunteer work on Hunter Lake. It's not the end of the world but you can see it from here. My internet connection is just fine than you.

On a totally unrelated subject, it hit 41 as the low last night and the stars were absolutely wonderful in the night sky.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Visit the Dells! Take a ride on the Duck!

[​IMG]

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Famous Dave's barbeque in Hayward. The mother ship of the chain. The Lamont Cranston Band played there several times already this year.

Or the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame. home of the world's largest muskie.

Dahl's Furniture Store in downtown Spooner.

Lunker's tavern on Long Lake Road, near Fish Lake.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow, Lamont Cranston. That's a band I haven't thought of in decades.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Micro Guy, don't forget about the Spooner Bakery. YUM!!!

And some friends, you guys posting those evil links, good thing I can't get to them or you'd be grounded forever!! So, GO TO YOUR ROOMS, you mean link-posters you!

Not much to do until rehearsal. Think I'm gonna go to my folks' and spend the day on the lake.

Draft saved Draft deleted