1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help, I'm having an existential crisis or damn you Chuck Klosterman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Nov 6, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, I love the Cocoa Puffs. (Though not as much as Cinnamon Toast Crunch.) I was talking about the latter book that PC mentioned: "Killing Yourself To Live."

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As I seem to always say on the Klosterman threads -- that's the point. It isn't filler -- he's a deconstructionist. The exact opposite could be true, in that world. The point isn't in the conclusion, or even in the theory, the point's in the unpacking.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I could be wrong, and it's happened before, but wasn't "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" mostly free-writes -- ideas he poured onto paper right before he hit the sheets at night?

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Here's what I took from the Klosterman article: I refused to be assimilated into the Borg, even though it most likely will be to my detriment.

Friends? Had its funny moments, and for a time Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox and Lisa Kudrow were all hot. But it wasn't interesting enough for me to plan my evening around it or to make me watch the entire series. Eh.

5. I love "Friends." I've probably watched each episode three or four times at least. Probably more. And I'm a bright guy with a good sense of humor, I think. For some reason, I found the show very good, much different than its stigma as six attractive New Yorkers dancing in a fountain and mugging for the cameras. It's strange to watch it now, though, after I've gone through those years, having watched it BEFORE those years the first time around. Not quite deja vu, but something like that.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who wants to read Harry Potter?

And that Friends episode where Ross and Rachel break up? Where Ross gets on his knees and faux cries into Rachel's womb area? C'mon. That was so bad. But Schwimmer more than made up for it with his appearances on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

7. I won't watch that one again. Too upsetting. I've seen it once.

8. Songbird

The Ross-Rachel breakup? That was so contrived. I was going through a breakup of the girl I most loved in my lifetime. She said she liked it. Figures.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never seen or read the Harry Potter movies and books.

10. Songbird

Good, I"m not the only one.

11. I read grown-up books.

There's nothing more cloying than two adults talking Harry Potter. Mostly they think it's oh-so-cute to do so, or that's how it comes off.

This summer, I was at a bar in Berkeley when it first came out, and there were at least a half-dozen strokes sitting in there reading it. Losers. (says the guy who can't bring himself to watch the Ross-Rachel breakup episode).

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Neither have I.
    I used to like Friends when it was on but I find myself watching the re-runs these days thinking to myself how the hell did I ever like this show.

Draft saved Draft deleted