1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help identifying song in WWL soccer ad?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Anyone have an idea if the song/chant promoting the WWL's soccer coverage is something it produced or is an actual song/chant? And, if it's the latter, what it's title is?

Thanks so much.

2. KG

KG Active Member

I don't know what promotion you are talking about, so the only soccer song I can think of is Ole Ole.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

KG: They are running the ad quite frequently. Ole Ole is the only soccer song I know, too, but this is something different.

Be thankful I can't (attempt to) sing what I sounds like for you! :)

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Steak: Thank you!!

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Texas Rangers fans altered it to celebrate one of the bullpen pitchers: O'Day O'Day

EDIT: Added the link to a YouTube clip where you can hear a guy in the stands starting the song.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

A classic from Jack and Meg (who I find curiously hot).

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't think it's that curious. My ex-boyfriend loved her. It kind of freaked me out...but then I discovered that apparently most men find her hot.

Still odd to me. :D

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Arsenal fans used it with Javier Mascherano's name:

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Those were Liverpool fans. :D

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Hmm. I guess I'm not alone, then.

I mean, she's cute, but there's just something else there. Maybe it's the musical talent, for me. I dabble in guitar but have no real musical talent, so if a woman can sing or play an instrument I'm totally jealous, and it just adds *something* to her hotness level. That might just a weird Killick thing, or it might be a common thing with all guys. I dunno.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ha!

When I saw the thread title, I thought, "I haven't seen the commercial, but I'm sure it's Seven-Nation Army."

It was (sort of) Italy's theme song for the 2006 World Cup (seven opponents to win the World Cup). At that year's Honda U.S. National Team Player of the Year presentation, they used the song for a highlight film of the World Cup. So it's pretty much become a "soccer" song.

Love the riff, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted