1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help, I want to but a SLR camera, but not break the bank...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Nov 2, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Congrats. If you have no SLR experience, now is when giving yourself an education really begins. Realize that if your funds are limited, that buying a prime 50 mm lens next, even if it is a really fast, fun lens like the one we were discussing, just duplicates the focal length of the one lens you already have (the Canon kit lens, which is a nice lens by the way for everyday shooting). Yes, the prime lens is really fast and will allow you focus in on a smaller depth of field than that kit lens, but for the most part it duplicates what you will already have in your bag. I'd suggest buying a longer zoom lens (maybe a 70 to 200 or 80 to 300) to compliment the kit lens next, if you can't afford to make multiple purchases at once. This is where it becomes an expensive hobby. Ideally you can afford a relatively fast longer lens -- maybe one that is f/2.8 -- because it will allow you to do more, experiment, shoot action better, etc. But those will be more expensive than something that is f/4.5, for example. You can end up spending a lot on lenses.

If you just play around with the kit lens for a while, while you save up for things, use it as an opportunity to get to know the camera. Read a lot and play around with AV (aperture priority) and TV (shutter speed priority) modes and shooting totally manually, which takes a long time (if you are me, at least) to figure out even just a little. Experiment with taking the same photo in different ways, so you can see the effects of playing with aperture and shutter speed and understand what changing settings does to a shot. If you are just going to use P mode (sort of an auto mode that doesn't necessarily give you the best shot), I think a camera that nice (and it really is powerful) is kind of being wasted. One of the most invaluable things I bought early on when I was teaching myself a little was a decent tripod. You'll need one if you are going to play with shots that keeps the lens open for more than half a second (let alone 30 seconds), because hand shake will destroy any shot taken that way.

Good luck and congrats.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Right now I am looking for great pictures of my daughter. So many of the pictures will be indoors. I think the 50 mm will give me a lot more flexability, right?

I know I will be buying the long lens in a few years (when Lil 93 starts sports), but for now my shots will be close up.

I have some SLR experience from my sports days and from my yearbook days when I was in the classroom, but you are right, I am going to be experimenting like crazy.

Thank Tebow and digital pictures are free.

3. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Congrats, man! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you.

And I would still recommend the 50mm, though Ragu's reasoning is sound. But I'm terribly biased because I prefer to shoot primes over zooms.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Anyone got advice on the Nikon D3000? Best Buy has it on sale for $499 on Black Friday but you can buy a package with the camera, a 55-200mm lens and a Nikon D-SLR Bag for $599.

What do you guys think? I'm basically looking for an easy to use SLR that will take sweet pictures at my wedding/honeymoon. If it could shoot sports for work, that would be cool too.

5. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Don't know much about how it's normally priced, but I have a student who loves hers. The reality is, you can't really go all that wrong with any of these.

6. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

gonna mooch in on this thread.... I've been putting this off, both my kids play high school sports and I want to take some simple sports photos before they graduate. digital recommendations for a newbie that won't break the bank ($300-500?) and I'm willing to go the used route mentioned earlier.
    Last year a free lancer shooting for the local paper wanted to charge me $20 a shot.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Don't waste your camera's life on work shots. If something happens to it while you're on the job, is your company going to pay for it? Of course not.

That's a huge problem in our industry .... the journalists care more about the product than those who own it.

If they know you're willing to pony up to buy a nice camera to get good shots for their product, they certainly won't ever go ahead and put any money into the product themselves.

It might improve your section but it just lets the beancounters continue to find ways to screw us.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Actually, I was planning on using it for work more so I can A.) Justify spending the money on it, B.) Get real use out of it and C.) Work out all the kinks so that, when I care about the photos i'm taking, they come out perfect.

9. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I feel like I'm qualified to say, with some authority, that this is a bad idea. It makes sense for me to use my gear for work, because I'm a freelancer and that's how it goes. But when I was on staff as a writer, I used my gear all the time for the paper. It's hard on your gear, and you're giving away value to a company who should be paying you for that value.

Please, don't do it.

10. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

I agree on the work shots. I freelance so, for me, I'm getting real value out of each photo I take and the ability to shoot my own photos makes it significantly easier for me to pick up work with locals that don't really have staff photographers.

As for the d3000, I'd say look for a D40. I work at Best Buy now part-time (freelancing only goes so far in this market, sadly) and in our inventory we still have a couple for 349.99 kicking around the company. Skip the Black Friday crush and have an associate look one up for you, if it's anywhere in the district they can get it sent to you and just insist that they match the lowest price available.

It's a 6 megapixel camera so there are limitations as to your ability to crop and then make large (bigger than 8x11) prints, but if you're good about composing your shot in the viewfinder before you actually take your shot, that's less limiting than you'd think. Plus, 349.99 for a camera that would've cost you 549 three months ago is a hell of a deal, if you can find it.

Other than the megapixel limitation it actually gives the same, if not better, noise performance at ISO 800 and lower (above that the images are barely usable without some real heavy work in post with any lower end D-SLR)

I'd also go with the black tie protection on the camera. I know, I know, extended warranty and all that but Best Buy covers accidental now, so if you drop it, spill water on it, the kids get ahold of it, etc. they'll cover it for two years for around 100 extra (not sure on exact price, it's a sliding scale), which also covers the battery on top of the normal stuff. It's a replacement plan, as well, so if the camera craps out you'll get an equivalent model but you'll have to pay the price difference if it's being replaced with a more expensive camera.

If you can't find a d40 the d3000 is a good choice (the guide mode helps if you're clueless about SLR features) paired with a solid 75-200mm lens will give you a good zoom range but forget about shooting indoor or night sports without investing at least another $500 in a fast lens.

11. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

Same as above, try and find a D40 at your local best buy for that 349.99 price point. It depends on what kind of sport they play though. Football/Basketball/Volleyball you're just not going to get enough light for crisp action shots without investing in a fast lens.

The problem with any used camera is that most cameras only have a shutter life of about 10,000 clicks and most modern cameras are made up of lightweight plastic instead of more durable metal so a camera could have 250,000 miles on the odometer and you wouldn't know until it breaks a week after you buy it. If you get it second-hand make sure there's some sort of receipt/warranty card so you know it wasn't purchased too long ago.

If they do play indoor sports try the Canon G11 or S90. Both are point-and-shoots so you lose the interchangeable lenses and they don't have a huge magnification but they each have awesome lenses built-in (f/2.0 for the S90 and f/2.8 for the G11) that will give you reasonable shutter speeds for shooting action indoors or at night.

12. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

The G11 is on my Christmas list. I want one tremendously, and I own four SLRs.

Draft saved Draft deleted