1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help, I want to but a SLR camera, but not break the bank...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Nov 2, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"don't be afraid to go with one not originally marketed for u.s. consumers."

?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For Canon lenses, they often have the US version and an imported, or gray market, version. They are the same exact lens, but the difference is in the warranty. Officially, I believe that Canon only will will honor U.S. warranty terms (and give rebates) on the U.S. versions of the lenses, but I have been told if you have an invoice from an authorized dealer, they will honor the warranty on an imported version, too. A dealer like B&H will have their own warranty that is the same as Canon's if you buy the imported version, so it isn't a big deal unless you are super worried about those things, for whatever reason. Typically, the imported version is a bit cheaper. Like I just looked and that f/1.8 50 mm lens we were talking about is on sale at B&H for $109.95 for the U.S. version. The imported version is $99.95.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

don't know if they still do it with what i think was called "gray market", but b&h used to have some models that were originally made and marketed for non-u.s. sales. they didn't come with the same warranty but they were at a better price. brother and i both used them multiple times and never had a problem.

edit: ragu beat me to it.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Daaaang! Keh.com has some pretty darn good prices. I might buy the 20 or 30D (Canon), forgot they had 5FPS and enough MPs to blow up some shots.

5. 93Devil

Consumer Reports seems to favor the Nikons, and the lends seem to rate very high and cost less.

I am guessing an 8 MP camera should last me for a long time. I just think 6 MPs might not be strong enough, and 10 MP might be overkill. I will take 10 MP if I can get it, though.

6. 93Devil

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800660729-USE/Nikon_25438_D60_SLR_Digital_Camera.html#specifications

$429 for body and lens, but this is refurbished with a 90-day warrenty.

Thoughts?

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

tried craigslist?

8. 93Devil

I am a little uneasy for a purchase this big on clist...

I will say that Art at keh.com (770-333-4200 ext 117) is the freeking man.

Did you know that the Nikon has a metal body and the Rebel has a plastic body, but not all Nikon lenses fit the D60? There is an auto-focus motor that they left out. Who knew?

He also said Nikon and Canon are very, very similar at my level (weekend hacker) and they are both very, very good cameras. He also told me what I am reading more and more about; the camera itself is cute, but it's all about the glass.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. My understanding of the lowest-level consumer-oriented Nikon cameras is that the camera itself doesn't have the motor, so you have to use their AF-S lenses. It would be a consideration for me, because the AF-D lenses won't work with autofocus on those cameras, and as a result when you want to buy used glass you are limited to the newer lenses that were made specifically for their digital cameras. Optically, many of their AF-D lenses are supposed to be better and they are less expensive, and on the aftermarket, you can probably find a lot of good value in used lenses if you buy a Nikon digital that can accept AF-D lenses.

Also, I believe what he told you may be wrong. I'd check. The Canon Digital Rebels have a plastic body (major criticism of them by pro photographers), but I have held a Nikon D40 in my hands and I am 99.9 percent sure it is plastic (and feels small too), as well. For what it is worth, my Digital Rebel has a plastic casing, but it has held up fine. It just doesn't feel as substantial as some of the more professional Canon cameras, and if that is what you are used to holding, it is going to feel different in your hands. Any pro shooter will tell you that when he picks one up. Also, after the original Digital Rebel, they started making the cameras smaller, which can be a benefit, but the cameras don't feel "substantial" to a lot of people used to shooting with more professional equipment. That kind of thing wouldn't make a difference to me, though.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Yes, the D-40 and D-60 have dedicated AF lenses. But you're still getting a great camera and great lenses.

Yes, the body of my D-40 is mostly plastic.

Yes, for God's sake, stay away from Craigslist when you're making an investment purchase. Warranty is key!

11. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

You'll have to make the call on whether or not you're comfortable with the innate level of risk that comes with such a short warranty and a refurb, but if one my students was considering this, I'd encourage it.

I think you'll like the VR lens.

12. 93Devil

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11313611&search=canon&Mo=25&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4001355&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=canon&Ntt=canon&No=14&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1#

I pulled the trigger on a Rebel XS 10.1 MP with the standard 18-55 IS lens.

$577 total from Costco.

I was very close to buying one from keh, but after you added the two-year warranty it was close to $600 for everything.

The XS is still good technology but not top end so the price was right. I still would like to buy that 50 mm lens for the holidays. I stayed away from Nikon because of the limited lenses and the motor issue on the lens. That just made me uneasy.

The camera will come either today or tomorrow, and I am geeked up for it.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Draft saved Draft deleted