1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help, I overdid it...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, May 24, 2007.

1. KG

KG Active Member

Ok Tuesday I worked with a trainer at the gym. Other than cardio we focused solely on my arms. When we'd first finished and I was going back upstairs (free weights are on the lower level) I remember feeling funny because my arms, instead of hanging straight by my sides, felt like they were kind of hunched out like I was doing some kind of ape pose. Or no better yet, you know how police officers have to kind of hold their arms out a little further from their bodies because of the stuff on their belts? It was kind of like that, but my arms were doing it on their own.

Well I thought they hurt yesterday but it was nothing compared to today. The only place I hurt is from the lower part of my biceps through the upper part of my whatever they're called flexors. Basically my "elbow pit" area. It's nearly impossible for me to straighten my arms out all the way. And when I do, it's a very slow process.

Driving to work was pure torture this morning. We're talking just shoot me and get it over with kind of pain.

Anyway, the help I'm looking for is what I can do now to speed the recovery and lessen the pain. Any tips on vitamins, certain foods, stretches, good drugs...whatever will work.

:-[

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Advil, stretch, water. It will probably get worse for a day before it gets better, and then the pain will lessen a little at a time, should be better in a few days.

I never understand why trainers push so hard in the beginning...weight work is a major trauma to a body that isn't accustomed to it.

Good luck, and get back to the weights as soon as you can.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I second Advil. Does the trick for me after hard workouts.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Lots and lots of water. Gotta get those muscles plenty of hydration.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I'll thrd the Advil. I have a bum ankle and I take Advil before and after plaing basketball. Works like a charm. If it's good enoug for Nolan Ryan than by God it's good enoug for me.

And keep hydrated and stretch. Also, get right back at it. Once you start working the muscles, you need to keep it going so they get used to the strain. Uness you seriously screwed something up.

6. clarkington

clarkington Member

Amphetamines worked for Giambi.

7. KG

KG Active Member

Thanks, I'm going for some Advil at lunch. I can't believe I'm this sore! With where it hurts I'm assuming it was from the curls.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Stretch for about 10 minutes. It will probably hurt like hell, at least initially, but it will get some blood flowing and help get you back to normal a lot quicker.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Aleve... not Advil... much more better

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Beer and bacon cheeseburgers.

Lots of 'em.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A good dose of protien would probably help, too.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Paging DocTalk. DocTalk to this thread STAT...

Draft saved Draft deleted