1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help! I need a mother-son song for my wedding

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CitizenTino, May 19, 2009.

1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Landslide seems to work as long you don't take the words to literally. I heard it at one wedding I went to. No one seemed freaked out by it. A beautiful song.

Also, if you really want the tears-a-flowing, I've heard people use the song from Dumbo, "Baby Mine."

Baby mine, don't you cry
    Baby mine, dry your eyes
    Rest your head close to my heart
    Never to part, baby of mine
    Little one when you play
    Don't you mind what you say
    Let those eyes sparkle and shine
    Never a tear, baby of mine
    If they knew sweet little you
    They'd end up loving you too
    All those same people who scold you
    What they'd give just for
    The right to hold you
    From your head to your toes
    You're not much, goodness knows
    But you're so precious to me
    Cute as can be, baby of mine

2. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

My mom and I are dancing to "I Hope You Dance" by LeeAnn Womack at my wedding in three weeks. We also considered "In My Life" by the Beatles. I voted for the latter, but she really wanted the former, so that's what it will be.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I agree that Dylan's "Forever Young" is far better, but you realize they're actually different songs, correct?

STLIrish had the best idea so far. Love Me Like a Rock.

Lastly, mom/son dances are always the most awkward parts of weddings for me, sorry to say.

Put on Ryan Adams
    and invite everyone onto the dance floor after the first minute of the song.

And if all else fails, there's nothing wrong with "My Girl" by the Temptations.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Crazy Bitch--Buckcherry

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

"What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong is what Mrs. Fly and I used for our parents' dance. Her mother and my father had long since passed away when we met so I danced with my mom and she with her dad. Went very nicely.

We actually finished the night with the Joey Ramone cover version of "What a Wonderful World". It was a nice party.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I was drunk
    the day my mom
    got out of prison

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Was it raining?

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You're the Inspiration, by Chicago??

I guess that's my 80s influence talking.

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

That's a great pick, but I don't think it would work for me. When my grandma died a few years ago, my cousin made this awesome slide show to play at the calling hours, and that was the sound he used in the background. If we used that song now, there's not a chance in hell either of us could get through it without ending up a blubbering mess.

I admit it: I can be such a sap with these things, I make Dick Vermeil look like Charles Bronson.

10. occasionally

occasionally Member

I danced with my mom to the song she had her first dance with my dad at their wedding - "Our Day Will Come." It only meant something to the three of us, but that's all that matters, right?

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

This thread inspired me to choose the Super Mario Brothers theme music for the mother-son dance at my wedding.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can't get that line from the Tupac song out of my head...

"It was hell...huggin' on my momma from a jail cell."

Draft saved Draft deleted